Australian Yellow Gouldian.

Includes Species Profile.
deegs

Dear All,
Can someone please advise me about the following? Is the only white fronted, yellow backed Gouldian the Australian Yellow back or can this also be a European Yellow? I was of the understanding that the European has a purple chest with the yellow back.
Cheers, Deegs.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

aussie yellow can be split for euro is my undersanding? or the other way...some one else will answer I'm sure :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Tiaris

Aus yellow is recessive & has WB & yellow back (usually with some green streaks, but not always). Euro yellow-back is dominant (no splits) and doesn't affect breast colour but it is often combined with the WB mutation. Single factor euro YB + WB have a grey throat, double factor have white throat & clear yellow back.
STUART WHITING

Tiaris wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 13:21 Aus yellow is recessive & has WB & yellow back (usually with some green streaks, but not always). Euro yellow-back is dominant (no splits) and doesn't affect breast colour but it is often combined with the WB mutation. Single factor euro YB + WB have a grey throat, double factor have white throat & clear yellow back.
Well said Graham :thumbup:
Craig52

Agree with Tiaris, the WB that the Australian yellow has is not the same as the Euro WB. You can pair a Euro WB to an Australian yellow with its WB but you will only get split for Euro WB and split Australian Yellow young. Australian yellow young at fledging stage look pied in the nest but moult out clear yellow or partially green backed with AY WB's that could be partially purple as well.
Imo the bird should be called the Australian yellow pied but only the young in the nest look pied, the bird has gotten confused with the Euro WB yellow back buy inexperienced breeders that don't know their genetics. Craig
deegs

Thanks to all for the advice but I am still somewhat confused. Is there an easy way to identify the Aussie White fronted, yellow backed bird from the European White Fronted Yellow backed just by appearance? Thanks.
Tiaris

Aussie yellow will usually have some green streaks on the back. A single factor euro yellow plus white-breasted will have a pale grey throat. A double-factor euro yellow back + WB will have a white throat. A doublefactor euro yellowback + WB can look identical to an aussie yellow without green streaking - then you need to look at what bred the bird to make a positive ID bearing in mind the modes of inheritence for the mutations at play. An unfortunate and very frustrating consequence of indescriminate mixing of colour mutations via uncontrolled group breeding of various coloured birds is the confusion which you now find yourself in where the situation may have to be forensically deconstructed to make a positive ID. Also there is the (remote) possibility that the bird could be a combination of both mutations - the chances of this are very low though.
Is the back colour a clear yellow without any green streaks?
Is the throat colour white or grey?
A photo would greatly help.
deegs

Hi Tiaris, you have hit the nail on the head with the mention of indiscriminate group breeding. The reason for my inquiry is that I have located a local breeder, not a forum member, who has a variety of Goulds for sale but is unable to supply birds with a known heritage as they have been aviary bread with no mutation control, I think it best I give them a miss. Thanks again for the advice. Deegs.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Many people when they first saw a yellow gouldian did not know that there were 2 types. So bought the pretty new type. Then got it an unrelated mate from somewhere else. Still not knowing there where 2 types. And put their 2 birds together. Some were lucky enough to get their birds from breeders who set them right. But many just got what they got. Mostly this was fine because they liked ones that looked the same. But sometimes Aussie and Euro yellows got mixed through enthusiastic ignorance. If you put Yellow Gouldian into search you will come up with pics that have previously been posted and named.
LML
LML

Return to “Gouldian”