Ringing gouldians questions

Includes Species Profile.
Birdy43

I'm after some advice on ringing Gouldian chicks.
What type of leg ring is best to use, where to purchase from etc.
Should my blues pair with a normal would like to keep track of split/blue offspring.
Thanks
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most of the major bird suppliers sell small plastic split rings. Choose a colour for the parents, and a different one for the possible split blue chicks. As if both parents are splits, the young are possible split blues, not guaranteed split blues. I know, I have the same problem. :ooh: In the case of a blue to normal they will of course all be split blue. So a different ring colour again. And get yourself a book to write it all down. Enjoy the results.
LML
LML
elferoz777

Birdrings.com or something is where i get em.

Custom made closed rings are better as they dont break, they are however a bastard to put on. I use the same size for my goulds, siskins and goldfinches.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Birdy43

Thanks,
Will search for that website, I see that closed rings are put on the young chicks, hopefully the Gouldian breeder I met who lives down the road from me can show me how, shouldn't get too excited - watch tbe blues not breed this season!!!!
Tiaris

When I used to closed ring my young Gouldians I had to do it between 5-7 days old. Squeeze front toes through first then slide up over the leg & back toe until its just on the shank of the leg. Do it too soon & they fall off, do it too late & it won't slide over the foot.
Birdy43

Tried birdrings.com but some articles wouldn't translate found birdbands.com
Says 2.5mm the size for gouldians
Which is better to use plastic or aluminium?
Looking at using closed rings for this seasons chicks.
Thanks
Mr Tino

Hi Birdy43 I think you got wrong sizes for the plastic ring .from Chapman ring in Melbourne we buy two sizes in aluminium split which are 2 and plastic which are A S that one we use for gouldian finches.
Last edited by Mr Tino on 21 Dec 2017, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
hanabi

Hello Birdy,

I use 2.5mm (internal diameter) metal closed rings for Gouldians. I band at 8 to 11 days after hatching. That 3-day range is because some parents feed their chicks very well resulting in faster growth, while others feed them more sparingly (slower growth). Like Tiaris mentioned, if you band too early the ring will fall off and be perhaps lost; my finches usually carry fallen rings from the nest so in an aviary situation you may never find them again. After you apply the ring, slide it back down the leg. If it easily slides off again try banding the next day or so. I sometimes use a little vegetable oil to help slide the ring over the ball of the foot/claw, but don't force the ring if it is too tight as you can easily damage the foot.

If a 2.5mm ring won't fit then I have both 2.8mm and 3.0mm available (used for Diamonds); they can be applied soon after the Gouldian chicks leave the nest.

I don't think I would use a ring smaller than 2.5mm for Goulds because I worry their legs might grow larger than the ring. Perhaps other members can mention if smaller rings are safe for Goulds or not. I also have 2.0 and 2.3mm metal rings here but 2.0mm is reserved for the African Waxbills (Gold-breasts and Common Waxbills), and 2.3mm for Owls and Painteds.

Return to “Gouldian”