Gouldians - Not Bonded

Includes Species Profile.
Boma

I have a pair of Gouldians that don't seem interested in each other. They are in a separate aviary by themselves, are about 1 year old and are both normal yellow heads. The nesting boxes went into the aviary on boxing day. The cock bird built a good nest in one of the breeding box, but that's as far as it went. Is it a bit too late in the season to introduce new a pair of birds (which I would have to buy) in the hope that that simulates them to breed either with each other or with the new birds?
BrettB

I tend not to put my nest boxes in till Feb, but usually the birds lay eggs with in two weeks.
It would appear your pair are not compatible.
I would split them and put them with different partners, it is definitely not too late in the season for them to be breeding

Good luck
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Craig52

I agree, you have put them down too early. Most likely the hen is not in breeding condition, has her bill turned black? I would separate them for a week or so then re pair them up but not until her bill goes black.
Breeding season starts as from now,don't be tempted to put them down any earlier. Cheers Craig
Boma

Thanks, the hen's beak is black. I will separate them for a week or so. If they do not bond after that, I'll buy another pair and mix them up. I hope they bond and breed because they are my best looking pair from good quality parents.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In my experience. Birds are like people, some are quickly into it :oops: , and some like an extended courtship. :flower: Mine are doing nothing and Mum's have chicks in the nest or nothing.
LML
LML
arthur

The 'golden rule' in the 'good ol' days' was always Boxing Day . .

Seems to have changed, and most agree

Climate change?? / global warming?? / birds didn't get the memo?? / :crazy:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The "Golden Rule" with canarys was always 1st of September and it will all be over by Christmas. But there are 3 eggs under my Gloster hen. You are right Arthur - the birds don't hold with calendars.
LML
LML
WILLYMEL

HI I have a pr like that in 1 Av so I move the nest box around and put 1 on wire of cage and 1 week got eggs I think some time then not like where them are to light or to dark :thumbup:
Rod_L

Back in the day I had empty nests in the aviary all year. That way the birds can inspect nests and choose which one they want, when they want it.

Never try to force pairing of birds, or any animal for that matter. They all have preferences (just like people), and usually do much better when allowed to pick their own partners. For all you know, the two birds you have might be related and the birds simply don't like each other. God knows I hate one of my sisters. Your best bet is to get a group of unrelated birds (quarantine them and treat them for any parasites), and put them together and let them choose their own partners. You get happier pairs with better bonds and this usually means more successful broods.

Good luck :)
death to all cats & ants
shnapper20

i put mine in on boxing day or there abouts, try introducing more nesting boxes at different heights, pre fill them with swamp grass loosely formed into a nest .

Return to “Gouldian”