Can you please help define the colour of this Gouldian?

Includes Species Profile.
FinchGirl

(First of all please excuse the atrocious picture quality of my old phone and note I don’t keep my birds like this, its just a temporary holding cage).

Can you help me define the colour of this Gouldian? Red head, purple chest, mostly yellow back (looks darker in photo) with slight green tint, no blue or black around nape but white rim to face colour and chin instead.

Cock 2 (not pictured) is the same except has no trace of green in the back and more of a dark mauve than purple chest.

Cock 3 (not pictured) is a bird bred in my aviary a few years ago from a chance liason between a hen that looked like Cock 2 and a YH PB GR cock. He looks the same as above except has a limey-green back, white chin but no white rim around nape, blue around the nape, purple chest. I will try to get a picture.

In the past I just “had finches” in a display aviary, but going forward I wish to make an effort in understanding the genetics and responsible breeding of my birds. I am currently going through my aviary and deciding what direction I wish to take, as I’d rather do quality over quantity.

Thank you for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by FinchGirl on 12 Mar 2018, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Tiaris

Its a single factor European Yellowback hen (all hens in this mutation are single factor)
Tiaris

The male with the clear yellow back is most likely a double-factor euro yellowback & the limey green one is a single factor euro yellowback. This mutation has a dominant mode of inheritance and is sex-linked.
FinchGirl

Hi Tiaris, thank you for your help.

Do you think the picture is of a hen rather than a cock? I have another bird which is definitely a hen, she is clear backed (or i guess you could argue its just a very pale tint) and her chest is considerably lighter pinky-mauve, almost a baby pink, than the other two. One cock (the clear back) has a bluey-purple chest and the pictured is mauve-purple (with tinted back) though still quite dark compared to my definite hen.

Oh, the hens are always single factor. I think I might have answered my own question. Genetics can be a bit bamboozling to begin with :crazy:

Any idea why one hen would be so much darker in purple and green compared to the other which is quite yellow and lighter coloured?

Thank you again :)
WILLYMEL

Hi I like to see more pic of the back it and if you have breed it the pr but looks like a Australian yellow
photo 2 (11).jpg
photo 1 (9).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would also like to see pics of the birds from the back. As the pic and description has me wondering if they have some Aussie yellow blood? Some Euro yellow hens seem to have deeper chests than others. Mother had a hen that was originally believed to be a cock, till she was seen being mated. :think:
And subsequently became a mum. :eh:
Willy do you have many Aussie yellows?
LML
LML
Tiaris

Aussie yellows have a white breast. This is euro yellow. The original pic is definitely a hen.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unfortunately a lot of "yellows" in WA are crosses. Euro yellow carrying Aussie yellow. It's better now than it was a couple of years back, and I think this Forum has a right to a pat on the back for that. But there are still people out there whose genetic understanding that their are two types of yellows is not too clear. No one blames people for this. We all learnt at some time. Hence the mixed bloods we have almost all owned at some time. So curious to see if their are any obvious spots.
LML
LML
WILLYMEL

finchbreeder wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 10:20 I would also like to see pics of the birds from the back. As the pic and description has me wondering if they have some Aussie yellow blood? Some Euro yellow hens seem to have deeper chests than others. Mother had a hen that was originally believed to be a cock, till she was seen being mated. :think:
And subsequently became a mum. :eh:
Willy do you have many Aussie yellows?
LML
HI just see what you ask yes i think i breed 35 this yr black head and oj head :)
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Delighted to hear that. I was beginning to think that people were all breeding the Euro yellow in preference to the Aussie. I prefer the Aussie. Do you sell any?
LML
LML

Return to “Gouldian”