My 2018 breeding season hasn't started well

Includes Species Profile.
Birdy43

Will just be leaving the Gouldians to work it out, have also cut right back on nest inspections and now just letting nature take it's course.
matcho

Birdy43 wrote: 10 May 2018, 17:46 Will just be leaving the Gouldians to work it out, have also cut right back on nest inspections and now just letting nature take it's course.
Birdy43
After being a bit slack for a couple of seasons without putting in boxes for breeding I gave 5 pairs of goulds to a mate and sold 10 pairs to my local dealer 7 weeks ago. No boxes made a lot of difference but still got chicks from brush nests. Anyhow put boxes in that day. In the last week have fledged 20 and can still hear chicks in boxes. Looks like I will be back where I started very shortly and this is only round one! I don't inspect and very rarely enter except in the most dire of circumstances. I let "nature take its course" but do medicate for ASM and coxxy at times. They have access to grit, chitted/sprouted seed daily, natural greens, (seeding grass, dandelion, milk thistle, winter grass etc etc) and do fine.

Hope things pick up for you but sounds like you will do okay.

Good luck

Ken
mickenglish

Hi Birdie 43, what is the vine in your photo?
Regards
Mick
Birdy43

Hardenbergia violacea growing over a frame and also a Bamboo both in pots. Some of the birds like to sleep in there. They seem to have the odd little nibble but I do supply them with fresh grasses daily or thawed frozen fresh grass seeds in the off season.
CathyCraftz

I hate air sac mites- they're so hard to get rid of completely. One of the things I enjoy about zebras are that they don't catch diseases easily.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
Birdy43

CathyCraftz wrote: 12 May 2018, 10:59 I hate air sac mites- they're so hard to get rid of completely. One of the things I enjoy about zebras are that they don't catch diseases easily.
But the splendour of colour of the Gouldians :soppy:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now you know why I have both Zebs and Gouldians. :thumbup: (and a few others too) :clap:
LML
LML
mickenglish

Thanks Birdy43. Is it in a pot or planted in the ground? My aviary is on a suspended cement sheet floor so I'm always on the lookout for suitable potting plants.
Birdy43

mickenglish wrote: 13 May 2018, 08:35 Thanks Birdy43. Is it in a pot or planted in the ground? My aviary is on a suspended cement sheet floor so I'm always on the lookout for suitable potting plants.
Have the Hardenbergia in a 40cm concrete pot growing up a tiered wire frame and the Bamboo in a 50cm round plastic pot. Aviary has a paved base. Both plants about 6 foot tall and have been in aviary for past year and still growing well.
I also have a few smaller pots with Austrodanthonia and Austristipa grass species for the birds to pick around at - normally rest them when they get too tatty. Occasionally some dropped millet sprouts and grows in there also.
mickenglish

Thanks Birdy 43 for the info.

Return to “Gouldian”