Seagreen gouldian

Includes Species Profile.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great to have all your hard work appreciated. And successful.
LML
LML
Tiaris

Was it the BH father of these that Don liked? He does have awesome body type which I also love to see in Gouldians - smooth flowing curves. Just wondering is he a good sized bird too?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tiaris wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 11:10 Was it the BH father of these that Don liked? He does have awesome body type which I also love to see in Gouldians - smooth flowing curves. Just wondering is he a good sized bird too?
Yes Tiaris it is that one..although I breed for shape and colour..he is not small nor big imo..I have a couple of his female cousins an uncle and a son...rest are not related...but looking like I will be keeping some better coloured ones to put to others this season..😉

finchbreeder wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 23:10 Great to have all your hard work appreciated. And successful.
LML
Thanks FB yes I thought I was on right track happy to be told same 😊
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Tiaris

[/quote]
... I breed for shape and colour.....but looking like I will be keeping some better coloured ones to put to others this season..😉

[/quote]

I initially selected my Gouldians overwhelmingly for size & colour but have been focussing on also improving shape/body type much more in recent seasons as well - the eternal quest for the perfect normal Gouldian (in our own mind) is the only aspect of finch breeding which has held my uninterrupted focus for the last 14 years (at my current address) - everything else with my birds has come & gone in that time.

I did breed a particularly dark male BH which I kept & bred from last year. I'll keep an eye out for more like that as the moult progresses.

I love to see others breeding with a defined purpose
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tiaris wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 19:15
I initially selected my Gouldians overwhelmingly for size & colour but have been focussing on also improving shape/body type much more in recent seasons as well - the eternal quest for the perfect normal Gouldian (in our own mind) is the only aspect of finch breeding which has held my uninterrupted focus for the last 14 years (at my current address) - everything else with my birds has come & gone in that time.

I did breed a particularly dark male BH which I kept & bred from last year. I'll keep an eye out for more like that as the moult progresses.

I love to see others breeding with a defined purpose
[/quote]
Is this yours Graham...how are you going with them?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Tiaris

Yes Dave.
Too early to judge this season's young for colour yet as mine are still well under halfway through the moult, but size & type is very encouraging with many of them.
I have noticed definite improvement every year so this in itself encourages further interest in staying the course. By this I mean the best few young birds each year are usually better than the best few of the previous year. Selection/culling decisions and (even more important) pairing decisions become more crucial when it comes to fine-tuning the best features in a group of already decent quality birds. I think it is vital to retain some acceptable genetic variation for certain features in my breeding stock so that a targeted pairing of 2 birds with complementary features can achieve a desired outcome in at least some of their progeny. By complementary features I mean different features but useful ones to combine. I reckon most really good Gouldians (top few % of birds) are especially striking in a couple of features but could do with some slight improvement in one or two other traits - the challenge then is to keep those birds to breed from so that they can hopefully pass on their best features to their young but to then pair them with a bird which is very strong in the trait requiring slight improvement so that this can hopefully also show up in the best of their progeny.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep totally agree Graham.. I have some pretty good black heads and working on improving my red and yellows . reds are getting better imo..my bh son pictured..hoping for a few more of both this year...even if not dark factor their colouring is better...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The colour is pretty jolly good on that RH too mate.
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

finchbreeder wrote: 26 Oct 2018, 10:07 The colour is pretty jolly good on that RH too mate.
LML
Thanks FB hoping for some more better coloured hens again this year 😉
Tiaris

IMO hen colour is the real test of colour traits in Gouldians. My hens have consistently strong chest colour, however they still have some way to go in getting consistent strong head colour in YH hens - still experimenting with how best to achieve this. Incidentally, the best head colour hens I have bred have not come from same head colour pairings as per traditional Gouldian breeding convention - my best coloured birds have all come from BH hen mothers paired to YH fathers (+ some RH fathers).

Return to “Gouldian”