Male Goudians not courting

Includes Species Profile.
Finchfam

Hi
Among my Gouldians I have several red-headed males who will court all year, pretty well from the minute they wake up every morning. I have others, more likely black-headed who court regularly perhaps a little less frequently than their red-headed counterparts, but certainly successfully. I understand this variation is explained by biological differences. However I have two males, both well over twelve months of age, who don't seem at all interested in courting. One is red-headed and the other is yellow-headed.
The red-headed male is in a large suspended cage with two hens. I did have another male but despite early intervention and a trip to the vet lost him to an unknown respiratory disease. He certainly did not have air sac mites or intestinal parasites as my birds are on a very regular preventative medication regime. And I often take the opportunity to head out and listed to my birds at night for any early signs. The hens in the aviary look very healthy and one in particular is showing all the signs of wanting to breed. There is a pair of Double-barred Finches in the cage and they are happy and healthy.
The yellow-headed male is in another large suspended aviary with a yellow-headed hen and some black-headed pairs which are nesting or going to nest. Last season the yellow-headed hen helped feed the babies of another hen. I don't believe she has chosen a black-headed male this season. There is also another black-headed hen which hasn't paired up yet either. There is still an unpaired black-headed male in his firsts season serenading the singles but I would really like the yellow-headed pair to breed. I'd separate them if I thought it might make a difference but her man just looks asexual.
My birds have a quality grain mix, kale, daily additions of unripe grass heads (green panic and guinea grass) and egg and biscuit mix. Beyond mood music and low lighting, what else might I add to pique their interest.
Cheers
Michael
When all is said and done, more is said than done.
Craig52

Stay calm and let them do their own thing as you might not see what is going on as they may do when you are visible to them.
90% or more of gouldians mate in the nest box whether there is grass in it or not.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some birds are like some people. Very private. Like Craig said, wait patiently. Keep up the greens, and nesting material. And try the mood music etc on your Mrs. :flower: (Yes, I'm a lady fincho)
LML
LML
Finchfam

Thx to both. I'll try to be patient! LML my sister's family used to live at Exmouth while her man was in the met bureau. Visited them back once, in the day. Drove up from Perth. Beautiful part of the world right along the coast. Hope the weather is being kind to you, and the virus.
Michael
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hope the birds did the right thing. My crazy things did nothing. But have now decided that all this rain means go to nest. Good thing I am on a line almost directly accross from Brisbane.
LML
LML
Finchfam

Nah that Gouldian male seems like a sworn bachelor. Fortunately he has some others in adjoining aviaries who are doing their best to ensure the survival of the species. Wish I could say the same for the pied Star finch and his new mate. But that would be a lot to expect given that they only met 10 days ago.

If you're about 27 degrees South that puts you somewhere around the beautiful area of Kalbarri (unless you're further inland). The scenery in those parts is magnificent. A bit further north isn't too bad either of course. I remember visiting the stromatolites. Understanding the role of cyanobacteria on Earth blew my head off! Anyway enough of that. Good luck with your nests. Hope you're hearing incessant cheeping from happy little babies.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hopefully he is one of those chaps who take a couple of seasons to get their mojo on. Then settle down to be productive Dads.
Also hope that the Stars get on well enough to breed for you.
I am south of Kalbarri and north of Jurien Bay, on the coast. All of this section of coast is a great tourist drive in the wildflower season. So we might just be open in time. But I prefer the cautious approach.
LML
LML
Finchfam

Sorry work has kept me occupied lately. I just noticed you're in for some more stormy weather. Maybe good news for breeding finches given their penchant for rain. My pied Star finch is still looking at his new companion like she's from another planet. He's a good singer though. I purchased another unrelated pair at the same time to help understand their finer points. I put them in a different aviary and of course they're going to nest now. The pair were kept in the same holding cage by their previous owner and they're both just over 12 months old so this development is probably not that surprising. But I never seem to be able to get the ones to breed that I most want to breed. It's raining here today so you never know. I cover some exposed parts of the aviaries up in builder's plastic over winter. Not that it's a worry for the parents really but for new babies I think it helps. Otherwise I'd probably be trying to put them off till spring.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We usually manage to just miss most of the storms. But yes, rain is coming our way. So soon all the seeding grass will be sprouting madly again and the birds will think it is nesting time. Got to hope like crazy the wind chil factor does not get too bad. Has been down to 7 and 9 a couple of night recently. I heard those of you from the southern states saying - cold thats not cold - but its relative. If you can protect them from the worst of the wind and rain I would not worry too much in your climate. Just make sure they get green seeding grasses. And if you can, pull up a small "weed" of two and give them the lot, to go throught roots for small insects and soil. If the Star is singing then the odds are good. Good Luck
LML
LML

Return to “Gouldian”