Masked Grass Fin and Charcoal

Normal and White Eared.
Includes Species Profiles.
glen

Hi All

I was wondering does anyone have any ideas as to why they (well mine anyway) make use of charcoal in the nest building and I have even noticed the Cocks using pieces of it during courtship.

Whats the idea is it a insect repellent :?: , humidifyer :notsure: moisture capture mec. :?: You folk that live near them and breed them well, do you have any suggestions as to why the relationship with Charcoal........

Thanks

G :thumbup:
Breeding Finches isn't a hobby its a way of LIFE....
mickw

Its a behaviour observed in the wild right from when they were first described......and everyone follows......they go nuts when you put a new batch in eh!

Its thought to be a dehimidifier/sanitiser/de-odouriser etc etc like you say.........in the wild they breed right at the end of the wet season mostly in grass tussocks within 1/2 metre of the ground, in fact, often almost right on the ground......I've only had mine for a year but they pretty much do the same in captivity........on or near the ground, full of charcoal and they mostly rear the full clutch..........though mine dont get drenched like they would in the wild, it would seem to be a pretty strong instinct......just another interesting feature of a top little finch I reckon
GregH

Well I don't keep them but the sanitisation and deodorisation therot soinds plausable. I've been camping in the Kimberly a couple of times in July and noted that they come down to explore thedead camp-fire in morning and take away charcoal. I also saw tehm collecting white feathers just like the book says. If that's what they want then give it to then even if you don't know the reason

Return to “Masked”