Genetics with Painteds

Includes Species Profile.
Tiaris

If it was mother to a yellow young it is 100% guaranteed to be split yellow. Like it or not, it is what it is (split).
spanna

My birds did originate from store bought birds, so may be split to yellow, but not that I was aware of!! I haven't had any yellows turn up here, even when a mother sneakily mated with her son (picked him over her previous partner, still in the aviary!!) and I didn't notice until after fledging!!! That doesn't mean it isn't in my bloodline/s though. What colour ring does the hen of mine have on poitta?? I may be able to provide more insight...

So over bloody mutations popping up everywhere!!!
Are there any other painteds in the same aviary Venetta?
venetta

There are a pair of yellows and we were thinking could there be a chance of them laying an egg in that nest even though they were busy building their own elsewhere?! :/

Just so strange. I guess time will tell!!

Our new guys from you are in another aviary with another red pair :o
Venetta and Kylie
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

no leg rings luke , they have mine on them....pete
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Then again there could have been a little "wife swapping" going on between the neighbours. :silent:
LML
LML
spanna

Hard to say, but I have had painteds nest swap at times. They're very odd little birds, even when they're behaving normally :lol:

Hard to say since you have multiple birds in the aviary... Separate them and you can know for sure!
venetta

PS. Just thought I would bring this up, that I did separate this female and pair her with another yellow male. They've had lots of yellow babies ;)

One more question on the genetics, obviously of the red babies that have come from this pair, will they all be split yellow (both sexes)? Just making sure, so if anyone buys from us I can let them know that they are split to yellow :)
Venetta and Kylie
Tiaris

Yes, any reds from a yellow & red pair will be splits in both sexes.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And if you paired her with another yellow male and they also produced yellow chicks. There is your proof that she is a split yellow. That is the (problem?) with recesive genes. They can go like this. RR x R/y produces all visual red/y chicks. You do not know and keep some and sell some as pure red. These then do the same as the parents. This happens for 3 or 4 generations. Remember that split genes can not show until put with another split gene. Then 5th Generation. Ry x Ry again visual red so no one might know, and what happens? 2 red and 3 yellow chicks. :think: Now how did that happen, from reds. Well it is obvious when you know. But throws you when there has been no previous history of yellow because the birds have always been put to genuine pure reds.
LML
LML
E Orix

Is it possible to breed out the yellow and end up with pure red fronted chicks being fledged all the time.
I might breed a few birds but genetics not even novice class(by choice).

Return to “Painted”