Hope despite adversity

Includes Species Profile.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well done . :thumbup:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
matcho

Tiaris,

I have a cock painted that about 3 months ago received an injury to his leg, horribly broken, high up and he was fluttering on the ground. Tried to catch him, no success. He was lucky because the end result would not have been pretty for him. He still survives but sometimes his tail feathers get caught behind this broken leg, and if you can picture this imagine a set of tail feathers pointing in the opposite direction. Some flying and some effort by him gets the tail feathers back to the normal but the leg is not worth two bob. The best part is this, he has continued on with life and is presently sitting on eggs after building a nest. Got me buggered how he has mated considering he is flat out standing on one leg. Survivors survive, he is strong and doing the right thing by me. I have a bucket load of painted's to sell off but would not even consider letting him go, besides who would take a bird with a gammy leg?
Tiaris

If his leg dies & shrivels up, I'd be inclined to snip it off with nail clippers just below the "dead point" (only if it is obviously dried up though or he will be very stressed & will bleed profusely). The dead leg may otherwise lead to further tangling up. I've had plenty of one-legged finches over the years and mostly the hens recover to continue to be very good breeders. I've found that unless the cock loses the leg quite close to the foot they usually struggle to mate properly which is understandable (not generally for the want of trying though) and infertile eggs is the most common result. Good luck with him though.

Return to “Painted”