Hope despite adversity

Includes Species Profile.
Tiaris

I have a young pair of Painteds which I just put into a breeding aviary a few weeks ago. Beautiful young pair - as good as any I've bred. Both showed instant bonding & went to nest after about a week together. Last week I went into the aviary to find the hen hanging precariously by one leg near the nest entrance with grass entangled firmly around her foot. I carefully untangled her foot but it was immediately obvious she had a badly broken leg up high (not good). She went to ground very stressed & I thought if she pulls through the night she'll be ok. She did make it through and is fine despite her severe injury but still a long way off recovering enough to contemplate further nesting activity. The young male (only about 4 months old & a cracker of a bird) has been incubating alone ever since. I can easily see into the nest as I walk past & it contains 5 fertile eggs. His continued nesting duties has surprised me for a few reasons: The hen had only just finished laying the clutch when she broke her leg & she is in no condition to help out at all yet, he is a very young bird (the youngest Painted in my breeding aviaries) and they have never attempted breeding before. His concern for his mate and attention to his sitting duties makes me confident he can do the whole job alone. If he does this I reckon he will be my favourite bird.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Certainly sounds like a little champ. :thumbup:
LML
LML
SamDavis

Amazing what some individuals are capable of. Some weeks ago I had a RCCB cock die unexpectedly. The pair had fledged 4 young some 3 weeks prior to his death. I figured I'd catch the young and then add a new cock at some stage. Anyway she's just fledged a further 3 young on her own. Although my records are not great it seems she must have just laid the clutch when the cock died so she's done it all on her own.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Another champ. :clap:
LML
LML
Tiaris

SamDavis wrote:Amazing what some individuals are capable of. Some weeks ago I had a RCCB cock die unexpectedly. The pair had fledged 4 young some 3 weeks prior to his death. I figured I'd catch the young and then add a new cock at some stage. Anyway she's just fledged a further 3 young on her own. Although my records are not great it seems she must have just laid the clutch when the cock died so she's done it all on her own.
Jinx! Sam. I too have a hen Cordon just fledge 3 chicks about 3 days ago with the cock lost about a month ago. She's an experienced breeder though so although impressed, I wasn't that surprised by it.
Redwing

Painteds are tops, nothing would suprise me with them. Still my favourites even though I've fallen for my pair of Cubans.
Tiaris

Update: Hen has now recovered enough to incubate too. Saw her come off the nest this morning.
Redwing

Great news...warm and quiet won't hurt either
flap

Wow, pretty determined little birds, aren't they? Well done. :-) Hope the rest of the incubation period continues without further dramas.
flaP
Mortisha

Poor little thing - that is determination though.
Hopefully with sitting quietly for long periods her leg will heal well enough

Return to “Painted”