full fronted painteds

Includes Species Profile.
djb78

I've been breeding painteds for many years and each time buying and culling stock trying to get full fronted painteds. Now with this year I've had a good season with young. All young have been breed from Dec to Feb and some have started to colour up nicely. I had attached a picture of one young cock that's still colouring and I believe that he may just be there, might be a bad version but I think that I may have the building blocks now to bring this trait out in some of my painteds. I was just wondering about peoples thoughts. These have all come from standard painteds and selective pairing is all I've done over the years, any tips of what else I may have to do to keep getting this colouring out in young?
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg
When I can keep this going then I may try to see if I maybe able to get my yellows to become full fronted also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My boy ...getting close to a good cover of yellow .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Faza

If you havent done so already Graham Bull has written a very good article on his full fronted breeding program.
http://www.aussiefinchbreeder.com/Painteds.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
djb78

Deb your boy does seem well coloured boy, hope in the next couple of years I can post a pic of one just as good or better, definitely a keeper that one.
Faza thanks for that link it was very informative and gone over it a few times.
If I was to try and line breed this trait will it be successful or more problems, don't want to get deformed or unhealthy young? I have line breed canaries before to get certain traits but this could be a different kettle of fish as I've never (that i know of) line breed in my finches before. Sorry just getting excited seeing years of breeding showing such promising signs.
Danny
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

djb78 wrote:Deb your boy does seem well coloured boy, hope in the next couple of years I can post a pic of one just as good or better, definitely a keeper that one.
Faza thanks for that link it was very informative and gone over it a few times.
If I was to try and line breed this trait will it be successful or more problems, don't want to get deformed or unhealthy young? I have line breed canaries before to get certain traits but this could be a different kettle of fish as I've never (that i know of) line breed in my finches before. Sorry just getting excited seeing years of breeding showing such promising signs.
Buy a couple of pairs from graham and mix with yours would help with stopping the inbreeding :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
spanna

I've been breeding for colour for a couple of years and it takes a lot less time to get good colour than you would think. My best so far is one I hand reared (nest was abandoned), just paired him up with a brilliant hen, so hopefully some good results from that pair come spring time.
Goose.jpg
This is the result of only 2 generations of selectively breeding unrelated birds, though the hen I began with was fantastic. He actually looks better now that he has been through another moult (old photo), the red really flows through from head to chest much more cleanly.

If you are going to breed for colour, I suggest also establishing a pair with less colour. Why? Because I've found that well coloured birds will produce a lot of cock birds, while less coloured birds (such as the average painted cockbird you find in a pet store) will produce more hens. I'm currently setting up more pairs of painteds to test this theory more thoroughly...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Well spanna Your theory maybe right. on the 2 pair I have here atm one of your hens who has alot of spots is paired with a not so colourfull male , so i have been getting 4 hens to one cock bird the other pair has a bit of a looker for a male and I have been getting 2 boys to one hen.... pete
natamambo

Nice birds. I was headed down that path but got sidetracked by pearl and fawn longtails and only have one pair of painteds now.
MadHatter

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I personally prefer them with a neat break between the red face mask and chest/belly stripe.
For myself, I'd still select for bigger red face masks and for a nice bold belly stripe, as well as good spotting, but without the red markings joining up.
I suppose that's part of the appeal with Painteds - the variability of markings allows for each of us to select according to our own personal preference.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Doesnt matter how you like them the fact is they are a freaky little bird that are so ugly with that big beak that they are actually quite stunning ...Probably only I could understand that .

They make the most annoying over wound spring noise that makes you stand still in awe and anticiaption of hearing it again .

One could only envy the laid back attitude that borders being dopey ....awesome little bird and my fav finch .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent

Return to “Painted”