Emblema (Painted) Eye Colours

Includes Species Profile.
Aussie_Bengo

Hi All,

This has been bugging me for a long time now and I cant seem to find an answer as yet.
I notice two different eye colours found in Emblemas.
One, a solid (virtually) Black Eye and
Two, an Eye that displays a yellowish iris or ring of colour around the perimeter of the eyeball.

I was wondering if these differences are understood. Are they a subspecies thing?
I took note of some Orange Mutation Emblemas today at a dealer that still had the all Black eye, so any theory of the lighter colour affecting the eye is out.
Its not a clear Cock/Hen thing as I have seen it across both (I think).
Painted Eye 1.jpg
This Image above shows clearly the yellow or light iris colour.

Painted Eye 2.jpg
This image above of some of my past Emblemas show both the Black eye in the foreground and the Yellow in the background.

Any input (as always) is much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

Well,i have gone back through all the painted pics in painted and every one of them has a circle around the iris except for young birds.
But if you blow your pic up in size,the hen has a dark circle and the cock has a light circle,maybe its a sex thing. Craig
Last edited by Craig52 on 31 Jan 2013, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well as my Painteds are normals...they look like pic one....evil looking my wife says lol
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Aussie_Bengo

The "Young Bird" idea sounds fair, however, this pair (bottom picture) hatched 3 young. So this one pictured was not a fledgling (from a dealer so could have been ancient?), but possibly the eye takes longer to colour???
Last edited by Aussie_Bengo on 01 Feb 2013, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
Craig52

Or maybe they can bring it on,like Indian Ringnecks and African Greys when they get stirred up,scarey looking birds in the eye. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just went down and looked the painteds in the eye. :thumbup: Both have the dark eyes. He is one of Spanna's boys and a couple of years old. She is a local lass and a year or two older than him. :think: Maybe birds eyes vary like peoples do.
LML
LML

Return to “Painted”