life expectancy/retirement plan

Includes Species Profile.
gudachi

Having inherited two painted firetails of some age i was wondering 1.How long do they live for in captivity usually? and 2.do finches become too old to breed and just retire and lay about bludging or do they go for it fulltime?
these two have been busy as building a little townhouse it seems the more nesting material i give them the more they build i have some video of their efforts ......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APUTFXHKEYc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
they are good builders
beware of fulfilling your potential as it will really cut into your laying around time!
Tiaris

If they are building a nest they're definitely capable of breeding - that one still looks healthy & active.. No camping nests so should be an attempt to breed. Do they have some dry grass /feathers for nesting material?
djb78

Painteds lifetime is around 7-8 years on average with good food well protected shelter and good health and wellbeing and I have seen a couple that was 9 years. Breeding for them would be about 5 years any older will result in low fertility and will put stress on the older birds, I have 3 6year old painteds that at present doing nothing.
Danny
SamDavis

Nice videos. Great quality, can I ask what type of camera you used?
I'd expect painteds to live for around 7 years. As Tiaris says, they're building a nest, so not too old to breed. As you imply, if they were too old they'd just sit around taking it easy!
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

painteds also love to use charcoal, bits of rock and bark as a base for a nest , amazing structures they build...pete
gudachi

Tiaris wrote:If they are building a nest they're definitely capable of breeding - that one still looks healthy & active.. No camping nests so should be an attempt to breed. Do they have some dry grass /feathers for nesting material?
Hi Tiaris thanx for that is good to know they are having a go and yes gave them loads of choices of dry grass feathers and sticks and they even used some sheoak cones and old millet stems....and im guessing a camping nest is just a temp or roosting nest.....thanx
beware of fulfilling your potential as it will really cut into your laying around time!
gudachi

djb78 wrote:Painteds lifetime is around 7-8 years on average with good food well protected shelter and good health and wellbeing and I have seen a couple that was 9 years. Breeding for them would be about 5 years any older will result in low fertility and will put stress on the older birds, I have 3 6year old painteds that at present doing nothing.
Thanx djb78 all good info and exactly what i wanted to know, muchly appreciated, as far as we can guess we think these two are about4-5 yrs old and they have built a good size nest......fingers crossed when this rain stops they might lay some eggs....cheers
gudachi

SamDavis wrote:Nice videos. Great quality, can I ask what type of camera you used?
I'd expect painteds to live for around 7 years. As Tiaris says, they're building a nest, so not too old to breed. As you imply, if they were too old they'd just sit around taking it easy!
Hi SamDavis glad you enjoyed the videos I use an Olympus SP600UZ 12mg camera that has a HD Video mode it takes a great photo but the video quality is even better.....cheers
Finch_Breeder

Did they raise young for you?
Birds I own/have owned: Budgerigars, **Zebra Finches**, **Star Finches**, Canaries, Diamond doves... Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested 'too
-Mike-
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tiaris wrote: No camping nests so should be an attempt to breed
Strange Tiaris I thought that too...but I have a pair that are not trying to breed yet have built a camping nest..
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Painted”