Yay im a dad

Includes Species Profile.
brockssracer

About 6 weeks ago I bought a pair of plumheads from a local shop. I wasnt sure how old they were but as soon as I got them into the aviary they went to work collecting the november grass that I scattered on the floor. Since then I have only looked in the nest once. Today when I looked I could only just see a couple eggs and a little pink wriggler. The little one would have only hatched yesterday or today... Im so wrapped they have been productive parents so fast. Cant wait to look again in a few weeks time to check on the progress.
SamDavis

Congratulations. Plumheads are an underrated species in my humble opinion.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed, Sam.
Congratulations brockssracer :D
Need to get a hen for mine, he's built himself a lovely nest and sings all the time.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Tiaris

They are under-rated & can also be super sensitive to nest interference, so be very careful with any looks in the nest. My first experience with looking in their nest years ago resulted in a nest full of dead abandoned young birds and an overwhelming sense of guilt on my part. A lesson well-learnt.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations :thumbup: :clap:
roma9009

good on ya :thumbup: :thumbup:
branchez

Tiaris wrote:They are under-rated & can also be super sensitive to nest interference, so be very careful with any looks in the nest. My first experience with looking in their nest years ago resulted in a nest full of dead abandoned young birds and an overwhelming sense of guilt on my part. A lesson well-learnt.
Totally agree with Tiaris, the first and only time I checked in a nest was a pair of Blue Face Parrot finches. One youngster jumped out followed by another as I picked them
up and tried to put them back in the nest another 3 jumped out.Try catching 5 youngsters,like herding cats.I gave up and left them out.I lost 3 youngsters in the next couple
of days.Now I get a nice surprise when I see young ones that have just fledged like today with 2 young Emblemas & 2 O.Bs, and a pleasant surprise to find hiding in the back
of the aviary 2 Pictorellas, thought I had only 1 now have 3. NO LOOKY NO FINGERS
Jack

Return to “Plumhead”