Yellow redbrow

Normal and lesser Red Browed.
Includes Species Profile.
Tiaris

desertbirds wrote:Time will tell but, Natanambos bird has issues, both Matty and Gps birds are cocks of the nominate race and possibly Mattys bird also has some problem or colouration issues with the white bum feathers ? . Gps bird ,from the pics provided has no black vent feathers, but , to me looks like a cock of the nominate race. Then again i have pics of Lessers that couldnt be sexed without DNA and ive previously asked a few times if the nominate species has the same differences in vent colouration as Lessers and i had no response. :wtf: Shows how much we know about a $20 bird (nominate race)

Chuck the Yellows in the bin (not literally) and see if we can get some Loftyi going , and maintain pure strains(2 subs and a nominate race) of at least one common aussie finch going. :idea:

It is interesting to se something new pop up though.
Nominate redbrows never have black on the vent & there is no differences between the sexes there apart from different intensity of grey.
mattymeischke

Myzomela wrote:... if the 2 birds ended up in the same backyard, surely you wouldn't pair colour to colour, would you Matty?
Don't worry, Myzo, no risk of that. Firstly, mine will go to a normal cock; secondly, I don't expect GP to be remotely interested in parting with his curious bird.

Mine came from a mixed flock of nominate birds, with no previous yellow birds to my knowledge. Unfortunately, I can't positively identify the parents, though I think I know who they are.

I was going to move on my redbrows to make room for some new birds, but now I intend to keep the probable parents and the best normal cock and see how we go.

Apparently yellow redbrows have been seen in wild flocks around here, so perhaps it is a wild recessive mutation which occurs at low frequency in the wild and so is rarely expressed. If the gene occured in captive flocks, the chance of getting yellow redbrows would increase as the gene pool shrank.

Kind of flukey that I got the mutant shortly after seeing this thread, especially given that I have been progressively moving mutants out of my aviaries.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Craig52

DB,i have to disagree with your comments,GPs bird is a lesser and it doesn't have a yellow collar(if you click on the pic and hit control and +) you will see the wire is obscuring that part of the neck and you can see the under tail coverts are black.
Mattys bird is a nominate race and with the yellow bird i had,it did have that white under tail area.As i said,the yellow does drag out alot of colour out of the body area.As far as throwing them in the bin,why hasn't every body thrown their yellow painteds,yellow headed gouldians in the bin and if i bred a yellow crimson,it would be the talk of the bird world imo.
So Matty,if GPs bird was a nominate bird,i could see no reason why you could not pr them together for one or two nests to get a few on the perch and then out cross to normals,it's a shame that it's a lesser as you wouldn't want to interbreed the sub specie.
Your bird is recessive so all the young you breed will be splits,so it would be mother to son and brother to sister pairings for one or two nests to get some yellows on the perch to out cross to normals. Cheers Craig :thumbup:
Last edited by Craig52 on 11 Oct 2012, 16:23, edited 2 times in total.
natamambo

Matty, my birds seem to be going down at the moment, nest has been built deep in the "scrub" where I can only see one edge from the flight next door. I am convinced, looking at these pictures that mine is also duller - in fact if were not for the DNA sexing Gomer had done you'd almost swear it was a hen. At least if you paired her with a normal cock we would then both have splits we could swap to pair with the respective yellow parents, thus get new blood in straight away too. I'm trying to organise some decent photos of him but will need a show cage as he spends most of his time in the brush if I'm in the flight and I can't hand hold him safely for long enough at the moment.

Craig, if you're ever in the eastern suburbs of Melb I'd really value your inspection and opinion.
GP Finches

Well the DNA results are in. My bird is a hen red brow (nominate race). Contact me if any of you have yellow red brows. Fingers crossed to see if I can establish this mutation.

Interesting reading all of your comments.
gomer

Both GPS and Mattys birds have white feathers aswell as the yellow ones. You can see this better once zoomed in. The colony I have kept a few have had the same. If this is a condition why is it only coming out in a small amount of red broweds and no other birds on the exact same diet and conditions ? And what is the probability of both white and yellow feathers coming out when there was previously no signs of them. The small colony I kept have young now. It will be interesting to see if this has dissapered. I suppose pied and yellow being ressesive it's all pot luck. Or good management to know whos who.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
natamambo

GP, Matty - now I have a dilemma... I'm trying to establish pearl longtails in Vic, was given a pair of possibly pied painteds to see if the white feathers transmit to any or all young and now the possible yellow redbrows. I thought I was reducing my finches to concentrate on the softbills :roll: :crazy: . Gomer, what are your plans for your remaining "yellows"? We four might need to pool our resources (although if the painteds do prove to be pied some will be going back to the original breeder).
gomer

I will have a closer look at mine next month.I am only saying I have a few different ones at this stage.There are three young atleast fledged a week or so ago.The one you got of me is most likley from the same colony.The others were from the colony I sold.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Craig52

Good luck Natamambo and Gomer,i think you guys may need it imo. GP and Matty,even though i mistakenly said GPs bird was a lesser,you both have a chance now to get a few splits on the perch and breed them back to their mothers to get coloured birds on the perch and to get new blood from each other down the track. Cheers Craig :star:
natamambo

Sadly, I noticed yesterday she was unwell. Had been fine earlier in the day. Popped her straight into the hospital cage but she only lived an hour or so after I found her. On being able to examine her closely I would have called her colour burnt orange rather than yellow, so perhaps there was something wrong with her after all.

She had been on eggs a few weeks ago but the arrival of the honeyeaters disrupted her and she stopped sitting so we'll never know for sure....

Return to “Red Browed”