Sexing red browed finches?

Normal and lesser Red Browed.
Includes Species Profile.
elferoz777

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has a method of sexing these guys?

I have a pair? but want to know for sure its not two hens or two cocks.

May have to surg sex them....

Thanks
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
mattymeischke

Bit fiddly to surgically sex a finch: DNA is the go if you want to sex them for sure and certain.
Alternatively, if you have space in the aviaries, you could come for drive up to the tablelands and take a few off my hands then let them sort themselves out....

I go by the thickness and length of the eyebrow; no idea if it works because I've always had multiple pairs and purchased them unsexed.
Now I know by the legrings; at least which ones are pairs....
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Craig52

The way i sex them is,adult cocks,larger slightly brighter red brow,steely/silver grey chest and a brighter chrome yellow collar and sing a song and display with grass in their bills.
Hens,brown/grey chest,smaller red brow and don't sing. Craig
Last edited by Craig52 on 05 Jan 2013, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've so far sexed mine on body colour - I have three grey birds, and two yellow-brown birds, in the chest colour. I saw one of the grey birds displaying, so I'm going with those being male :)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
desertbirds

Ive noticed taking pics of the birds in different light conditions can assist with picking the brownish tinge of the hens.these are Lesser Red Brows which are easier to sex as the cocks have a black vent when mature and hens have grey vent. The brownish tinge on hens is evident in this pic and the cock (right) has a cleaner steel blue and white front.I dont think the eye stripe is a reliable indicator of sex , having said that it is the case with this pair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Red Browed”