Red Browed sexing

Normal and lesser Red Browed.
Includes Species Profile.
Jenk

Does anyone know how to sex Red browed finches, I've had mine for over a year now and they just don't seem to be interested in breeding...I read somewhere that the actual red markings across the brow on the hen taper off to a point as opposed to the cock who's red markings end square, can anybody offer any advise please?
Jenk
Craig52

Jenk wrote:Does anyone know how to sex Red browed finches, I've had mine for over a year now and they just don't seem to be interested in breeding...I read somewhere that the actual red markings across the brow on the hen taper off to a point as opposed to the cock who's red markings end square, can anybody offer any advise please?
That way does work but the easiest way is the colour of the breast,in cocks it is steely blue/grey and the hens it is grey/brown in adult birds. Craig
Jenk

Thanks Craig i'll check em out, see if I haven't got a same sex pair. Thanks again.
Jenk
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do they have a wide variety of nests to choose from? e.g. at least one more nest that pairs of finches? What are you feeding them in the way of greens etc?
LML
LML
Craig52

Craig52 wrote:
Jenk wrote:Does anyone know how to sex Red browed finches, I've had mine for over a year now and they just don't seem to be interested in breeding...I read somewhere that the actual red markings across the brow on the hen taper off to a point as opposed to the cock who's red markings end square, can anybody offer any advise please?
That way does work but the easiest way is the colour of the breast,in cocks it is steely blue/grey and the hens it is grey/brown in adult birds. Craig
Another real problem with redbrows is that one pr on their own usually wont breed,they are a colony breeder so you really need at least 3pr to stimulate each other into breeding.
Lesser redbrows are the exception,they seem to breed better with one pr per aviary. Craig
Jenk

[quote="finchbreeder"]Do they have a wide variety of nests to choose from? e.g. at least one more nest that pairs of finches? What are you feeding them in the way of greens etc?
LML[/

Yes plenty of nests to choose from probably 4 spares... I feed silver beet, cucumber, egg and worms daily some times bok Choy, broccoli. These birds breed all year round don't they?
Jenk
Tiaris

Do they have plenty of thick brush to nest in? Won't generally use boxes, etc.
Jenk

Tiaris wrote:Do they have plenty of thick brush to nest in? Won't generally use boxes, etc.
I have 3 tea trees and other trees in the aviery not to mention plenty of cane nests... Will they not use the cane nests?
Jenk
elferoz777

I have heard some will only nest in live/very fresh tea tree and not the dry stuff.

I wouldn't know from experience as I haven't kept them but I do know the wild ones in the back paddock nest in lantana, tea tree and any other thick bushy plant they can find.

Sounds like you are looking after them well.

Good luck
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Tiaris

It would be extremely rare for them to use cane nests or other receptacles. Usually only dense brush is their chosen nest site.

Return to “Red Browed”