single or colony

Normal and lesser Red Browed.
Includes Species Profile.
bjc787

I am after peoples opinion as to wether red browed finches breed better as single pairs or as a colony.
Tiaris

At the moment I have 4 pairs of Redbrows out in breeding aviaries all as single pairs. 3 out of 4 pairs have produced young recently. The last pair is the one I most want young from (Murphy strikes again). I haven't had colonies of them for many years, but when I did only the dominant pair bred in 3pr colonies (only tried colonies twice). So based on my limited experience, single pairs give a better strike rate (3/4) compared to colonies (2/6).
Craig52

Tiaris are you talking about lesser redbrows,if so lessers do a lot better on their own in my experience where the nominate race do better in a colony.
I tried one true pr of common redbrows in a large planted aviary of mixed species and they never attempted to breed until two more pr were added with resulting young from all three prs.
After twelve months,l caught up 16 unrung young, my experience only it could be different for others. Craig
Tiaris

No I'm talking nominate sub-species. I have only had single pairs with lessers - never tried a colony of them.
garyh

I have tried both ways,and haven't found much difference at all,garyh

Return to “Red Browed”