Red-eared Firetail

Includes Species Profile.
craigvdl

Anyone else keeping red-eared firetails? Am hoping to hook up with anyone near Sydney who keeps them.

Craig
gomer

on the wish list Craig.Am planing to build some avairys for them in the future.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
craigvdl

Let me know how you get on Gomer. They need a lot of cover and can scare easily.
gomer

what i plan on building wont be finished for a few years.Three 12m x 4.8m avairys or six 12m x 2.4m avairys.what do you think.this is the area i plan to build it,old photo.built in between the two banks,North on left side of photo.Sheltered area on left side with raised roof,with perspex wall above existing bank.say a four metre well protected sheltered area and then eight metres of planted area.East wall full lazer light and posibly west wall.
do you think this would be ok for red ears and beautifuls :?:
And anyone else got any comments :?:
fincher

me mate has red ears and hes avairy for them is bout 6-8mtrs long 2mtrs wide 2.1high bout 1/2is covered then the rest us just wired and they have bred for him in there.
craigvdl

Gomer

Wow - that is some space you have there. In my view you will be fine with them, but your problem will probably be that you will never see them! Being shy, in a smaller aviary they tend to bolt for the nearest cover whe you get near. My suspicion is that, in a larger aviary, they may become tamer over time, but I suspect you will need to work on them. Have not kept Beautifuls but I suspect they are very similar. Having a good dry sheltered section is a good idea.

Craig
gomer

sounds like the consensers is 12 x 2.4 six off :?: and will look into keeping softbills aswell would this six be good for them.or is it to big :?: I know you two keep softies.
As long as they do ok i dont care about seeing them all the time.the walkway will be the one where the windows are, so i could get them mirowed maybe.
craigvdl

Mate, I am getting more and more jealous by the minute.

Unless the widths are pre-set, I would be inclined to go for a width part way between the two you say (8 foot versus 16 foot width). My reason for this is simply that, if you heavily plant the aviaries and they are 8 feet wide (2.4m), you will not be left with much room to walk the length of the aviaries without focrcing the birds to fly around you. with a slightly wider aviary - say 10 or 12 foot wide, they will be less inclined to scare.

If you had the choice, I would probably also turn it into two banks of aviaries each 10m long. Am not sure you will get that much extra benefit from making them 20m long, and a larger number of aviaries will help you keep more of the territorial species (whcih the softbills often are). Just my personal thoughts though - the long aviaries would be spectacular.

Cheers
Craig
craigvdl

Here are some photos of some young red-eared firetails I bred a few months back.

Craig

fincher

nice pics there craig.

Return to “Red Eared Firetail”