Yellow Starfinches

Includes Species Profile.
Tiaris

I can give a genetic forecast for fawn & cinnamon combinations but unless you have them to work with there is no point.
Stavros01

Well, Tiaris the point of this topic was because in the beggin of these year, i both a star finch couple were the sailsman told me that they were split to yellow.
With the passing months they only breed once and i started to realize that was impossible to be split to yellow. The only chick that was born was a very light bird. But when it finishied to moult, i realized that was no yellow bird but something else. Now i realize that it was a cinnamon because it was much lighter than is parents. It was a pied-cinnamon. His parents are pied-fawn YF male and a pied-fawn RF hen. In this case i supose the male is split to cinnamon.
If i cross this cinnamon chick, which i supose it will be split to fawn, with a fawn hen, will i get yellow star finches??
That´s was why i was wasking for a genetic forecast and to compreend how this mutations work.

regards
Gustavo
Tiaris

I don't know the mode of inheritence for the Pied mutation at all.
If the young bird you bred is cinnamon it must also be fawn as both parents are fawns. ie it is a yellow-bodied Star if you have the parents' descriptions correct. And yes the father would have to be split cinnamon for this to occur & the young pale bird would have to be a hen. Young yellow-bodied Stars take on a pied-looking appearance as they are going through the moult as the darker juvenile colour is sporadically replaced by the paler mature body colour.
Yellow-bodied hens are far less vivid yellow than are yellow-bodied males. Hens are more a hazy lemon yellow whereas cocks are brighter almost buttercup yellow.
Stavros01

Tiaris wrote:I don't know the mode of inheritence for the Pied mutation at all.
If the young bird you bred is cinnamon it must also be fawn as both parents are fawns. ie it is a yellow-bodied Star if you have the parents' descriptions correct. And yes the father would have to be split cinnamon for this to occur & the young pale bird would have to be a hen. Young yellow-bodied Stars take on a pied-looking appearance as they are going through the moult as the darker juvenile colour is sporadically replaced by the paler mature body colour.
Yellow-bodied hens are far less vivid yellow than are yellow-bodied males. Hens are more a hazy lemon yellow whereas cocks are brighter almost buttercup yellow.

Hummmm, the young bird i told you about is a male.
Now i am confused since you said the youg pale bird should be a hen.
Tomorow i will post pictures of his parents and the pale bird.

Regards
Gustavo
Tiaris

If the father is Fawn split cinnamon & the mother is fawn, they could only produce Yellow-bodied hens so if its a male it isn't a YB.
Stavros01

Explain me this:

fawn = pastel??
Cinnamon = brown??

Gustavo
Tiaris

Probably the other way around I'd say. Fawn = recessive, Cinnamon = sex-linked. That much I do know.
Craig52

Tiaris wrote:Probably the other way around I'd say. Fawn = recessive, Cinnamon = sex-linked. That much I do know.

:lol: :lol: Give up Tiaris
Stavros01

crocnshas wrote:
Tiaris wrote:Probably the other way around I'd say. Fawn = recessive, Cinnamon = sex-linked. That much I do know.

??????????????????????????????
Dimar

Stavros01 wrote:
crocnshas wrote:

??????????????????????????????
Hi Gustavo
there's more than language barrier here, stars have several mutations but, except for yellow faced and pied, they are a bit tricky to recognize, and more they are known with different names in each country, so Oz fawn is Brown in Eu, cinnamon is pastel or sometimes isabel, recent experiments in Italy have shown that the mutation we called Brown was indeed Agat, and a mutation called isabel could be opal. Because of the flat green/yellow plumage of stars it's particularly difficult to understand which gene is involved in each mutation and the different look of birds is barely detectable since it just results in lighter shades of wild color. There are for sure more than 3 or perhaps 4 mutations under the names brown, cinnamon, isabel, pastel, agat, opal, the problem is how to tell apart each other.

ciao
Dimar

Return to “Star”