pale juvenile star

Includes Species Profile.
Tiaris

Looks like a cinnamon mutation to me now coloured up - not YB. If that's a coloured hen in the termites near the normal pair, definitely cinnamon (sex-linked) which means the parent cock is split cin.
mattymeischke

Thanks, Tiaris.

Oh, well, these things usually wind up being less interesting than one might hope....
So half of the visually normal cocks would be split-cinnamon, then. Bugger.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
kimberley breeder

I have just had 2 clutches of stars fledge the other week one pair had 3 normal looking fledglings the other pair had 2 normal and 2 paler fledglings- I guess I am in the same boat..the cockbird is split to cinnamon?
mattymeischke

Hi KB,
sounds like we have the same situation.
I must admit I'm a bit confused about star mutations now; I think I looked at too many pictures....

If cinnamon is sex-linked and fawn isn't, and if there are no other mutations in Australia, then we both have split cinnamon cocks ( and some young cinnamon hens).
The pictures I've seen of 'cinnamon' birds don't all look the same.
I would love it if someone could clarify the visual differences between cinnamon and fawn for me.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Tiaris

The main consistent visual difference between cinnamon & fawn is the tail colour. Soft pink in cinnamon & less diluted darker reddish colour in fawns. Body dilution is more variable in both cinnamon & fawn (more so in fawn) & body colour of some fawns very closely resemble that of most cinnamons. Cinnamon body colour tends to have a slight greenish tint whereas most fawns tend to have a slight brownish tint, but this is not always obvious. Most cinnamons exhibit heavy dilution whereas some fawns show marginal dilution compared to normal. I select for darker (less diluted fawns in my birds as these tend to exhibit better spotting and brighter yellow belly colour compared to paler (more diluted) fawns. Tail colour is the most obvious distinguishing feature though.
mattymeischke

Thank you, Tiaris.

Return to “Star”