Pied Stars

Includes Species Profile.
GregH

I went to a birds show yesterday at Tiendasitas (Ortegas, on the north side of Manila) yesterday and was amazed by the remnant trophy birds still around but not bred here. One that was that I've never seen previously was a pied Star which rather than being a normal, flecked with white, this one looked like a normal cock bird with large areas of clear yellow and a very intense red facial mask. I'm not one for mutations but this was a particularly striking combination. Does this mutation occur in Australia?

Also on display were cock cordon bleus, a pair of paradise whydahs (the owner has 3 pr of St Helena’s - would these suffice as a host? Unfortunately he doesn't have a large aviary so they will never breed anyway), a Masked X Longtail hybrid, yellow & red Stars, Diamond Sparrows, Canaries, various Zebra mutations, Society finches.
Last edited by GregH on 22 Sep 2009, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dont know about anyone else but I have not seen pied stars.
Some pieds like the ruddy and zebs I love.
And some I regret to say I feel are not a pinch on the originals (Cordons and Parrott finches)
Not that that would stop me trying to establish the mutation if I saw one that I felt was not yet established. :lol:
LML
LML
fincher

yes ive seen pied stars before in the yellows infact actually had 2 pied hens but unfortunatly both have died. but have not heard of anyone else with having pieds themselves
Howldaloom

I have 2 pied hens. but to be honest they are rather dull looking compared to all the others.

They sorta still have that juvinile (cinnimmon) ish colouring with a white splotch on their head. No other colouring then that.

They are 0ver 9 monthes now so im guessing this is how they r going to stay.
please dont stand in my aura

Return to “Star”