Colony breeding yellow rumps

Includes Species Profile.
elferoz777

Hi guys i have acquired a large number of yellow rumps and dna'd a faur few. I am plannibg to breeg 4 hens and 3 males in a flight. The only other inhabitants are green singers and goulds (2 pr).

I habe read the profile and posts but not much info or recent info.

Can anyone share their experiences on these guys?

My birds are still in juvenile feather btw
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
arthur

Y-R's go fine in the colony situation but like most munias can be a bit hard on the plant life, a hardy, fast growing grass like Guinea Grass is great for them. They will use it for nesting as well but be sure to support same with 'dog-wire' cylinders as G-G will collapse in rain with obvious consequences

The person who established Y-R's in Qld from wild caught NT birds in the early '70s, had a huge aviary basically full of G-G and these finches bred like white-mice . .

Y-R's will nest in tea tree brush and even in containers (I have even had them use large fruit juice cans half opened at the front)

Easy to sex using under tail coverts, in conjunction with head crown colour

As aviary birds this species is hard to beat for any number of reasons :thumbup:
Tiaris

They really love plenty of regular greens esp. half-ripe grass heads & sprouted seed. Will also take livefood when rearing young & although will breed just on greens, bigger & more regular clutches are produced with a dependable livefood supply as well (grass heads/green foods most important though).
Have to agree with Arthur - they absolutely thrive in a grassy aviary.
For such a plain looking bird in a cage or carry box, I reckon a group of Yellow-rumps look awesome climbing in growing grasses in the sunlight.
gomer

Although I prefered to breed them as single prs per aviary ,mixed with other aussie birds such as stars, goulds, emblemas, pictorellas,crimsons,plumheads and we masks mostly with these birds. I found that once you establish the right pairing they are very good breeders. My yellow rumps were in grassy aviaries also. Mine nested in tea tree in the sheltered area at the back. The aviary is fully roofed for my climate. As a pr per aviary they are very timid and not disruptive to others or the aviary itself. As a group they do look very impressive indeed as mentioned shimmering up and down stems of grass picking seed. More aviculturists should keep these types of birds in my opinion long term not in vogue.You will get alot of enjoyment keeping these birds.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
elferoz777

Thanks all.

I got these with the goal of focusing on an aussie finch. I think they are the best and most understated by far.

Ive got a five yr plan as i do with most breeding projects so ill see after then what I do.

Have some bamboo in a pot, would this go well?
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
gomer

I have Johnston grass in that bank and the purple panic grass mostly that they climbed. If you had Bamboo you would need a type that was a variety small enough to enable them to grasp their feet around the stem. Arthur and Tiaris or someone else maybe of help here as I have not grown bamboo in my aviaries before. I have five types around the yard But I would only consider one miniature variety out of the five I have. It was already there when I moved here so I dont know the name of it.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
starman

elferoz777 wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 17:32 Have some bamboo in a pot, would this go well?
Steve, when I asked the same question of a very experienced breeder, his opinion agreed with Gomer's.
A man of few words he said, "Grass for Aussies, Bamboo for Asians, mate."... no elaboration followed.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
arthur

I'd stick with Guinea Grass in larger higher aviaries where it won't grow through the roof mesh, losing the added value of the seed heads . . not that many actually fully mature, being taken as soon as they appear

In more modest aviaries Green Panic, which is basically G-G's 'little brother' would probably be a better choice

Many people prefer G-P even in larger enclosures, because it is a little less rampant
TomDeGraaff

I have found them hard on bamboo. Mine nest in wire cylinders filled with brush and once started, the breeders keep going.
I hange bunches of seeding grasses from the roof and their antics are most amusing. Mine land on the grass whilst still in my hand!
They are lovely birdss.
Rod_L

put 4 prs in the aviary, don't have odd numbers of birds. :)
death to all cats & ants

Return to “Yellow Rumped”