Unexpected results

Includes Species Profile.
Norse

This is why i love breeding Zebies
I Put a cock Fawn Red front split Charcoal to a Charcoal split Red Hen this year, i bred these lines over previous years in the aim of combining them.
First clutch i got 2 Normal cocks ( triple splits i assume )and 2 fawn hens ( split red and charcoal ) and 1 fawn charcoal hen ( split red ).
That was expected
Second clutch was 1 normal cock again ( who seems to be getting more red in his wings as he ages, so looks to be a visual red split fawn and charcoal )and 3 fawns, which didnt look quite fawn
They coloured up to look Dilute blue and looks like i got a cock and 2 hen also the cock and one of the hens have no tail barring so im assuming they are charcoal also, and the cock bird seems to be getting diluted red coming through on his chest sp possibly a Dilute Blue red front charcoal.
Ide love some thoughts especially how The Dilute blue got there as i thought it was Dominant and ide expect a parent to show it to some degree, unless the fawn in the cock is somehow hiding the Blue ?
Cheers Jason
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
projects atm Normal and AY Gouldians, Red zebs and java's
nswchainsaw

You have a Slate they are Recessive and look like Dilute Blue .

Garry
Norse

Is slate the old dark or normal blue we used to call it ?
I have been breeding these lines separately from unrelated stock for the last five seasons, except for last year where i started to combine them, so is it possible for a random recessive gene to be in these two different lines and stay hidden for that long or is it somehow being suppressed by another gene ?
Or is this just the Gods playing tricks on me
Looks like i need to do some research
cheers jason
Norse

Where is all the Zebie genetic genius with there input lol
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

it is possible for a random recessive gene to be in these two different lines and stay hidden for that long
No question that this is possible. Has happened to people before, and will again. That's the fun part of recessive genes.
LML
LML

Return to “Zebra”