Silver-Marked-White type Zebra mutation - how was this made?

Includes Species Profile.
Craig52

Finchy wrote:Sheffield Uni Zebra Finch study: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/inbr ... h-1.182825

Damaging effect of inbreeding in birds vastly underestimated
...scientists across the world have grossly underestimated the damaging impact inbreeding is having on birds. ... inbreeding – when closely related individuals mate – led to up to 75 per cent of embryos dying; much more than previously thought. ....

Anyway, I'll pair my little guy with a known-unrelated Normal hen ... even though my suspicion and finchbreeder's suggestion that blackfront genes might be involved is still bugging me! I'll decide in the next day or three.

Thanks finch peeps.

:)
Finchy has mentioned above guys of what she is going to do and has taken all comments on board. Thanks Craig :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good luck Finchy. Hope he breeds well for you. And let us know the results. (numbers, they will all be visually normal, with hopefully the split genes you are after)
LML
LML
Finchy

Thanks all. For those who asked for photos, I managed to take some before releasing the pair into the aviary. They don't look very impressed with my makeshift photo chamber, but here are the Silver with dark markings and his new wife.

(Last time I checked on them they were arguing :eh: . Hopefully there will be some 'making up' afterwards... )

arthur

Don't know that much about zebs . .

But I am impressed :thumbup:
nswchainsaw

The Cock bird is a Dilute Blue , paired to the Grey Hen you will get 50% Dilutes and 50% Greys .
AMCA26

With Garry. Dilute Blue.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.
Finchy

In the flesh/feather he looks very much more Silver (very light bodied with cream cheeks), especially next to my definite Dilute Blue male (darker body with peach cheeks). Though if Dr Martin is right it's a false distinction because they are all variations of the same Dilute gene. No matter, I'll be interested to see what shade/shades are created by these two. Hoping for a large clutch for good stats! Will report back in three months...
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lots of things vary in shades. Dilute birds can vary considerably. Cinnamon and fawn birds can also. Red head and blonde humans vary considerably in shade.
LML
LML

Return to “Zebra”