Silver-Marked-White type Zebra mutation - how was this made?

Includes Species Profile.
nswchainsaw

Finchy wrote:I'd rather send them a photo :). Precious birdie, not for long journeys. Wouldn't mind going myself though. 29th this month?

I have also sent a message to the European guy who took that stunning photo in the link. I'll see if he can tell me anything.
Yes this Month
Finchy

I haven't had a reply from Bart Houben, but was able to get a brief response from Dr Terry Martin. He said it was likely a normal variation of the Dominant Dilute gene (= Silver and Dilute Blue).

If that's correct, then I suppose I just need to keep breeding randomly and cross my fingers! I had hoped to be more methodical about it though.

Also, I personally have not seen a bird like this in the flesh before. Perhaps they are more common than I was aware.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wouldnt you put him back to his mum to start with? :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Finchy

To him mum??!!!!!?!! No, never. That would be an inbreeding catastrophe, guaranteeing genetic impoverishment. Such a thing is only ever justifiable in the most desperate situations, like saving a species. So I will just breed him and his siblings with my best unrelated Normal and MW birds and see what nature turns out. :)
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Finchy wrote:To him mum??!!!!!?!! No, never. That would be an inbreeding catastrophe, guaranteeing genetic impoverishment. Such a thing is only ever justifiable in the most desperate situations, like saving a species. So I will just breed him and his siblings with my best unrelated Normal and MW birds and see what nature turns out. :)
I'm sure small flocks of Zebs interbreed in nature.... only strong survive.... and I'm pretty sure if its a new or rare mutation thats where I would start.... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
arthur

Best step is to put it to an unrelated pure normal . .

But . .

Best of luck with that with aviary bred zebs
Finchy

Very fortunately - if Terry is correct - it's a dominant mutation. That will make visible progress much faster and easier than with recessive genes, so inbreeding is unnecessary anyway :thumbup:. All of the ones I already have were bred free range, so to speak, so that's a good start. Fingers crossed...
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If they are being bred free range. Question 1 how many Zebs did you put in the avairy? Question 2 how many Zebs are now in the avairy? Question 3 how long have you been breeding them like this?
LML
LML
Tiaris

Unless you isolate the bird & breed it with one mate of your choice, you will never get an answer to your original question as to how it was made. The only thing known as to its origin is that came it about via a pot luck random mixture of whatever Zebra Finch mutations exist in the genes of all the birds in that aviary. Without a controlled & deliberate breeding use of that bird, it may possibly be the only one of that combination which you ever produce. (or through the same random combination as occurred before you may produce a handful of them). In any case, unless bred in isolation your original question will remain unanswered.
Finchy

That's almost true, as even in the aviary pairs can be known and their offspring rung accordingly, but occasional errors or infidelity are likely.

I do see your point, so because currently they are all on a breeding hiatus and I have an opportunity to release a single pair and give them free reign, I will do that. The question is, a Normal hen or a MW hen for this first experiment? I'm thinking Normal...

Return to “Zebra”