IS this a hen or cock bird

Includes Species Profile.
STUART WHITING

Hi there mate,

To be perfectly honest I'd say that yer zebra is a cock bird going by yer pic,

Have a look at this pic of a pair of charcoal zebras and yer can clearly see the difference between em :thumbup:

image.png
Tiaris

There is plenty of variation in the extent of blackness on hens though Stuart and the hens with black fronts have that distinct barring across the front. Cock charcoals mostly also have the chestnut coloured flanks which this bird lacks and a clean (unbarred) black front.
STUART WHITING

Tiaris wrote: 02 Dec 2017, 08:50 There is plenty of variation in the extent of blackness on hens though Stuart and the hens with black fronts have that distinct barring across the front. Cock charcoals mostly also have the chestnut coloured flanks which this bird lacks and a clean (unbarred) black front.
Arh right ok Graham,

Yea that would seam to make sense now you've mentioned that,

Cheers mate :thumbup:
Username1

I'd say that's a male. I have a few Charcoals like this that don't have any chestnut colouring. The easiest thing to do would be to watch it for a few minutes. Males can't help themselves, and will sing their mating songs. That should give it away.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you look at Stuarts picture of a pair you will see the way to sex them. Chestnut colouring on the sides. This lovely lady does not have chestnut feathers because she is female. I made mistakes with this type early on because I had not been told this fact, and couldnt understand why the "pair" were not jelling.
LML
LML
STUART WHITING

finchbreeder wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 10:20 If you look at Stuarts picture of a pair you will see the way to sex them. Chestnut colouring on the sides. This lovely lady does not have chestnut feathers because she is female. I made mistakes with this type early on because I had not been told this fact, and couldnt understand why the "pair" were not jelling.
LML
:thumbup:
Username1

finchbreeder wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 10:20 If you look at Stuarts picture of a pair you will see the way to sex them. Chestnut colouring on the sides. This lovely lady does not have chestnut feathers because she is female. I made mistakes with this type early on because I had not been told this fact, and couldnt understand why the "pair" were not jelling.
LML
Except not all males have chestnut colouring, as per my post. Just see if it sings, quickest solution!
CathyCraftz

Congrats your zebra is a girl! If you want her to breed, pair her up with a cock or buy several cocks and let her choose.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As per the information on this post the bird has been paired up five months ago. It would be nice to hear how she went though.
LML
LML
quaddieking

top bird has bright red beak. i think male.

Return to “Zebra”