Keeping a male only Zebra Finch colony - thoughts?

Includes Species Profile.
Finchy

What do you guys think about keeping a colony of only male Zebra Finches?

I have always kept a group of both genders in my mixed aviary, just because I love Zebs. Of course they breed like there's no tomorrow, which creates a crowding/catching/selling challenge every 3 months. So I'm trying to persuade myself to keep only males, but haven't gotten myself over that line yet. What do you think? Is it OK? Is it cruel? Is it better?

(I know the answer is really to build another aviary, but it isn't only up to me :( .)
MuzzaD

Good food, good water a few plants. Sounds idyllic. Do know of breeders who do this with Gouldians so cannot see why they would not be happy. I separate cocks and hens for their first year and they seem happy enough and thrive.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If all needs bar those for a mate are met, the only slight risk is hybridizing. Many creatures live in batchelor groups for long periods of their life. It is not cruel, as they are being looked after. Sounds like a good idea to me. And when you build your next avairy you can do the same in that. :thumbup:
LML
LML
CathyCraftz

This arrangement is fine, but don't provide them with any nests or they will get aggressive!
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
β€œIt is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CathyCraftz wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 18:12 This arrangement is fine, but don't provide them with any nests or they will get aggressive!
Not unless a hen is present πŸ˜‰ and any good fincho supplies more than two nests per pair to help prevent that πŸ˜‰
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Rod_L

zebra finches usually bond for life. Keeping males only will prevent natural behaviour and bonding.

How would you like to live in a single sex village and have no contact with the opposite sex?
death to all cats & ants
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rod_L wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 21:23 zebra finches usually bond for life.
Haha maybe in the great big aviary but in normal aviaries they don't and will happily switch partners to whoever you choose to put with them...πŸ˜‰
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

zebra finches usually bond for life.
I find my Zebs are like people, some stay with the same mate and some change. Even those that are left in the same avairy will change mates some of the time. Those I move between avairys have no choice.
Is it cruel to keep birds in a single sex avairy? Well let me see. They are provided with the best in food, protection from predators, shelter from the worst weather. Does that sound bad to you? Yes the chance to breed is taken from them, but Biological reasearch shows that what you dont get you miss less than those that do get would miss it. So they will adjust and if they never have mates it is less of an adjustment.
LML
LML
starman

Rod_L wrote: ↑16 May 2018, 21:23 How would you like to live in a single sex village and have no contact with the opposite sex?
That would make a very interesting new topic .... but this is a bird forum, so perhaps not.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Rod_L

I reiterate my previous post.

How would you like to live in a single sex village and have no contact with the opposite sex?

Forcing animals (birds) to live in a single sex environment is not good for them. In groups of animals with only one sex the animals turn to homosexual behaviour. If you are providing them with food, water and shelter, the next thing they will want to do is breed and they won't be able to do that. They don't have a television or internet to keep them occupied. They can't go to a disco/ night club and pick up a chick. They have biological urges that are being denied to them by deliberately preventing them from associating with the opposite sex.

For all intents and purposes you have made them prisoners in your backyard. And I know birds are prisoners in aviaries anyway, but by prisoners I mean like humans that get locked up in prison. What happens to men that are locked up, they change and not necessarily for the good.

People keep birds for their song, colour, appeal and to breed them. You are going to provide them with everything they require to come into breeding condition except the thing that is necessary to do that, a partner.

Try not to associate with anyone from the opposite sex for a month and see how you feel. Tell your friends and family about the experiment and just associate with people of your own sex. Then multiply that over your life, because that is what you want to do to the birds.
death to all cats & ants

Return to β€œZebra”