W A Fancy Zebra

Includes Species Profile.
Tass

Hopefully , I've attached a photo of a Zebra finch from overseas and a drawing of the WAF. I'm trying to see what the W.A.Fancy actually looks like. W.A Fancy is a combination of a Silver and black body which I think this photo displays body wise but not on the tail. Really like the contrast of the white cheeks and black bodies

Anyone keeps or seen them as being dominant thought there would be more photos of them around
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have some a little like this, but not as dramatic. Mine have the dilute silver body, black chest and light cheek patches. but the black is not on the chin like that or below midsection on the front, and Cheek patches not quite that much of a contrast.
LML
LML
MuzzaD

This topic was discussed at the Zebra Finch Society WA meeting recently as we had a request for any Information on them. Seems nobody knew anyone breeding or keeping them at present. Not to say there might not be some around.
Tass

Thanks guys , I think its sad that this mutation didn't kick on.

Finchbreeder , do you know if yours are from charcoal , black body , or black fronted

I've bought a pair of charcoals and a silver cock (to put to creams to whiten up the cheeks) . bought the charcoals after reading a post about white top over black body birds , 2 forum writers had on idea .Their suggestions was to a black body bird (don't have)and marked whites, which I have.

The charcoals just fledged a white bird with 3 normal charcoals young. This white birds is white where the grey should be and slightly darker white where the black should be, but seems to be getting lighter. with the silver to cream hen, all young have been as expected except for one which fledged as a white hen with grey/olive cheeks and some under body colour, no dirty head marking like marked whites do

Hoping that because these birds have hidden traits it may work in my favour,
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unfortunately I avairy breed. So limited control. Will have a look at their rings tomorrow and see if I can narrow it down a bit.
LML
LML
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry for the delay in answering, it has been rather wet here. And I have been looking at rings and records. As my blackbody and charcols are all in together. Didn't know enough about them or have the space when I first got them. The birds are from a mix of these to pied hens, both gray and fawn. (That probably was not a good idea either) The dilute/silver gene has been showing up from a number of sources including my red line. So now you have me nice and interested I think I will have a crack at producing some of these by experimenting with the boys I have and some hens out of a similar combination. And now I have been looking at them so much I realise the reason mine do not seem to have such light cheeek patches is not that they don't, but that there is no black next to the cheek patches to show up how light they are. Good luck in producing some that look like the pic.
LML
LML
MuzzaD

Tass,
Just realised you wanted a description of a WAF. There is a painting ok a hen and a cock in "A Guide to Zebra Finches" by Milton, John and Joan Lewis. ABK Publications 2000
There is also their history and development.
Last edited by MuzzaD on 02 Jul 2018, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
MuzzaD

MuzzaD wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 13:28 Tass,
Just realised you wanted a description of a WAF. There is a painting of a hen and a cock in "A Guide to Zebra Finches" by Milton, John and Joan Lewis. ABK Publications 2000
There is also their history and development.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

https://www.slideshare.net/hunglnm/zebra-special
This states that the mutation is really a cross between Dominant Silver and Dominant Black Bodied.
LML
LML
Tass

Hopefully this time the drawing is attached

Not much info on Aust mutations so thanks MuzzaD , I'ii definitely chase up that publication.

I didn't pay much attention to the black going up to the beak certainly adds to the contrast .

Yes black bodied and silver is the combination but at present only been able to find charcoal birds hopeing they may have black body in their DNA.

Of the 3 charcoal fledgelings , i noticed after you pointed out about the black under the beak , that one of them is all black underneath from chin to tail and the other 2 same colour as the female ,(butt black tail)

So I'll cross with charcoals until I come across black bodied and try lighten the cheek patches in the dilute/silver and creams (going to try cream on black body will look nice 0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Zebra”