Zebra

Includes Species Profile.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Zebs and Doublebars =absolute in your face finches . Sticky beaks and can annoy the crap out of other finchs .

Manic , hypo , argumentative :cloppy: God bless their little cotton socks its lucky they are cute .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Tt101

i really appreciate the advice. i am so glad i decided to stay away from them, pied birds almost 99% of the time hit a soft spot for me and a few days ago i walked by a group of gourgous pied zebras and was drifting towards calling the lady over to get a pair but decided not to because i read a post a long time ago about zebras being too sociable and now im extremely glad i never. oh and WHAT, NOOOOOOO, owl finches a.k.a double bars are also a bad colony breeder?...... :rain: :sob: i really wanted a pair.... :cloppy: moo cow is very unhappy
Nrg800

In other words, get Painted Finches :D :angel: :fish: :flower: :penguin: :panda:
Latest Lifer: Black-headed Gull (HaLong Bay. #528)
Australia List: 324 (White-throated Nightjar)
Global Year List: 119 (Powerful Owl)
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cant beat painted finches . Great little birds and not a bit annoying .

With Dbars some people have no problems , I had 6 and found them to be a tad too assertive with the other finches ...aviary size has a huge bearing on their behaviour .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
mattymeischke

I would vote for the painteds over the doublebars, though I love the doublebars. The painteds are awesome builders....

Or another solution: get painteds and build a new aviary for the doublebars. :cloppy: (time and money permitting, of course).
Do you have anything in with the Gouldians now? And how big is the space they are in? Then we can be even more opinionated about your birds.

(btw, just noticed we are still in a topic called 'zebra'. Perhaps start a new thread? I don't know, I'm an old luddite technophobe fart. I didn't even know you could make someone a friend....)
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Tt101

i would deffinately not mind a pair of painted's, beautiful looking birds and from what you guys are telling me an amazing personality as well. i will look into getting a pair for sure. i currently have a 3'l x 3'h x 2'w flight cage, i know its not huge but i was really only planning on a couple pairs {which i know is pushing it}. i only have the gouldian pair alone at the moment and to be honest they really aren't using up the whole cage so i feel that it could comportably support another pair with them. the breeder i bought these from and many other breeders around here usually have 6-7 birds in a cage smaller than this. i plan on an aviary but i paid $150 for this cage 3 weeks ago so i just want to get my money's worth out of it before i put it away lol. yeah agreed i hate to hijack posts but what should i label the new thread?
MadHatter

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that the Painted is a rare bird in North America.
Well worth having if you can get them though. :thumbup:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That cage is maybe suitable for 2 pair of finches. What you see others do is not always the best thing unfortunately. Particularly if you want to breed your finches. Birds breed best with lots of room to fill.
LML
LML

Return to “Zebra”