Examples of subspecies - photos anyone

desertbirds

I would have to agree the violet colouration is amazing . I wouldnt like to choose between the two but after seeing your pics i might also lean towards the violet coloured wrens. I think what i love most about the Splendids here is the different shades of blue and purple.Heres another dodgey pic but the colours are great. Apologies for re- posting these pics but its hard not to love wren pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

DSCN2271-1.jpg
it also depends on the time of the day you see them , I personally think they look darker in the late afternoon and look a lot brighter in the begining of the season ...pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Serious looking little fella ....gawjus little bird . Is that an aviary bird Poitta ?
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Pete Sara

that be one of the many locals deb , I have some but not keeping them here at this point due to what happend to the ones I bought with me when I moved in...besides I rather partial to the varigated wren....pete.
desertbirds

Could we have a look at the variation in Variegateds if anyone has pics to add. Sometimes googling doesnt really work and its nice to see the obvious differences in Splendids from the previous posts.This is our local bloke and ive seen some pics from semi rainforest areas that look quite different to this one. Hey maybe one day we could end up with our own library of finch and softbill pics on the forumthats easily accessible to forum members. :think:
MadOzzie

Desertbird

I am not an expert on wrensbut love them. We have "blue" wrens in our garden here on the Gold Coast.

I have noticed that Cayley in "What bird is that?" has quite a number of similar birds which he lists as subspecies. Is the female of your bird, blue or brown?

MadOzzie

Return to “Splendid Wren”