hen or cock

shnapper20

$_20.JPG
its advertised as a hen but does appear to have a shade of blue in tail
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
E Orix

If it our local Superb Wren the blue tail indicates a young or out of colour cockbird
If it is the WA Splendid Wren then it could be a female as from memory they do have a blueish tail
matcho

Schnapper,

Just checked Field Guide by Pizzey and Knight in regards to the Superb Wren, not the Splendid. There is a distinct colour difference between the hen and cock during the eclipse period. The male has a dark coloured beak, lighter brow line and a light coloured collar. The hen on the other hand has a flesh coloured beak and this extends to the eye ring which is the same colour, also has light colour behind the eye. For my money I would say hen, but then again am only going by the illustrations before me. Given what David has said it quite possibly is a young 1st year cock so now I am going to sit on the fence!

Good luck,

Ken.
Craig52

I pretty sure it's a hen by the eye ring colour and bill colour. Hens do have a pale blue/brown tail where as cocks tails young or old are royal blue. Craig
shnapper20

well i spoke to the breeder he fledged 8 birds last season and he can tell the difference, he also noted a wild male has been hanging around her aviary. So all looks good.thanks for the replies
Tiaris

Out of colour cocks have a black bill. I would strongly question its purity as a superb with blue on the tail - this is a distinct splendid trait, not superb.

Return to “Superb Wren”