Superb Wren (Vic)

Netsurfer

E Orix wrote:Tintola
When you ring your Wrens do you put the ring on in the normal part of the leg, foot to 1st joint or higher up 1st joint to thigh.
The later is where I would normally ring Wrens as they have less chance of getting snagged as they scramble about in the under growth.
Me, same as Tintola, normal, had no problems with rings, all my young WWW are closed banded !
Tintola wrote:The Red-backs one nest where the chicks just disappeared at about five days, second nest are about four days old at the moment. Last year six out of six dna-ed were hens. How do you sex the White-winged without dna sexing? Beak colour or lores around the eyes? Or ???
With the last lot two years ago I had 9 males and three females and everyone else had mostly males or were looking for females. Anyhow, I ended up losing all females and the mother-hen during the January heat wave, was left with four males and couldn't get a females for more then two years. This time I DNA sexed seven young (even the ones I lost before fledging) the results were all females! She's sitting again I just hope I get at least one male. :irked:

How to sex them: All of the young fledge with the black tip of the beak. By the time their tails are fully grown some of the black will start disappearing to eventually clear up completely in females. In males the black tip never clears up, in fact, after about 12 months or so it becomes darker to eventually turn completely black.
Gary once mentioned something similar, I'm not sure if that's what he meant, I thought that was pretty much "hit and miss" but no, now I am 100% certain they can be sexed after about 8 weeks or so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tintola

Thanks for the sexing tip. I'll check with the other species if this is also applicable to them. :thumbup:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Netsurfer

Tintola wrote:Thanks for the sexing tip. I'll check with the other species if this is also applicable to them. :thumbup:
"I just got a pair of young Red-backed Black Wrens, it's same, the male has black tip of the beak while in female the beak is clear!"

Edited (1 October 2012): Opsss sorry, it's not the same! I still haven't bred them but from what I have noticed in this par uncolored birds, the male is a little bigger and the head and the beak is bigger then in the female. Also my bird (male) looks a little paler than the female.
Last edited by Netsurfer on 01 Oct 2012, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

my god that white wing is stunning.
Thats #1 on the birds I want to keep one day right now :)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
desertbirds

There`s a few Splendids that confuse me. Some of the hens below (according to beak colour) have a fair amount of blue colouring is that normal ? They arent all splendids but i love a good wren post :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mattymeischke

Beautiful photos, Netsurfer and db, thanks.

Do the white-winged have any different dietary or other requirements compared with other fairy wrens, or are they much the same as the others?
I have never kept them but hope to....
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
natamambo

mattymeischke wrote: I have never kept them but hope to....
You and me both :D . At least they are on the licence in Vic and can be kept, the red-backed aren't :evil: .
Netsurfer

Here are photos of the Red-backed Black Wrens. The cock appears to be a little lighter color along the flanks, the wings and head are not as dark brown as in the female.

DB, are those young birds (same age) or are they birds in non breeding plumage?

mattymeischke, I think they are all the same, all need continuous supply of insects when breeding, but I haven't kept others, and the Red-backed I only got today! :) This *&*$* rain is not helping :irked:
Last edited by Netsurfer on 30 Jan 2013, 20:41, edited 8 times in total.
desertbirds

Hard to tell ,they are all wild birds. Top pic is two young cocks i think ,but the rest i cant be sure of age. I need to pay more attention to the colouring of hens but its hard when there are cock birds around. I reckon i saw 30 Splendids on Tuesday morning all with in several hundred metres of the workshop at the Park. It was amazing. I have a forum member here next week,im looking foward to some great pics.
mattymeischke

Beautiful photos again; db, that cock has at least six different shades of blue!
Netsurfer wrote:mattymeischke, I think they all the same, all need continuous supply of insect when breeding but I haven't kept others and the Red-backed I only got today! :) This *&*$* rain is not helping :irked:
Cheers for that. Continuous supply of insects is usually straightforward around here.
This bloody rain makes it hard to keep the termites up to them, though; my current binfull died in a macabre melange of mould and mud and they've been hard to collect in the cold and wet....

(btw: I just noticed that we are still in the 'for sale' section. Should this post perhaps be moved to the wren section?)
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)

Return to “Superb Wren”