Superb Wren (Vic)

Netsurfer

mattymeischke wrote: (btw: I just noticed that we are still in the 'for sale' section. Should this post perhaps be moved to the wren section?)
Yes, I thought about it to, maybe the Admins should move them to a new topic called "Fairy Wrens" or something similar.
arthur

Because I almost never check the 'marketplace' I've only just found this treasure trove

Yes by all means put most of this in the 'softbill section'
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Had not seen this before either. Because though I check the Classies. Not those for other states. Beautiful pics and subject matter guys. :thumbup:
LML
LML
Netsurfer

desertbirds wrote:There`s a few Splendids that confuse me. Some of the hens below (according to beak colour) have a fair amount of blue colouring is that normal ? They arent all splendids but i love a good wren post :lol:
DB, my guess would be those hen with lots of blue on the wings and tail are mature 2-3 or four year old (mother) hens. Young hens shouldn't have any blue.
Netsurfer

Does anyone know if this is acceptable, check out the last two birds in the link below. One of the birds has if I'm right, five rings, 2 on one leg and another 3 on the other. I can't believe how some Ornithologists can be so cruel, I often think that even one is too much. My birds are all closed banded excluding the natives and Parrot Finches. The only split rings I use are the plastic type, I don't like the metal ones and if I see the plastic once are open a little I always take them off and replace them. But definitely not 5 rings on one bird. :petrified:

http://www.environment.ucla.edu/ctr/sta ... -page.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Netsurfer on 08 Apr 2012, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
natamambo

I don't know about the rings - but the article on males breeding in eclipse plumage and associated behavior fascinated me.
Tiaris

A bit like putting radio tracking collars on Mallee Fowl to better allow them to locate the exact location of the carcase/remains shortly therefter. Funny how adorning a well camouflaged bird with conspicuous identification devices leads to predation in the short-term. Bird banding clubs, etc don't do the birds any favours. Knowing the ID of birds for making study easier has dire consequence for species near the bottom of the food chain when the rings are intended to standout like DBs.
maz

Tiaris wrote:A bit like putting radio tracking collars on Mallee Fowl to better allow them to locate the exact location of the carcase/remains shortly therefter. Funny how adorning a well camouflaged bird with conspicuous identification devices leads to predation in the short-term. Bird banding clubs, etc don't do the birds any favours. Knowing the ID of birds for making study easier has dire consequence for species near the bottom of the food chain when the rings are intended to standout like DBs.
Yes radio collars have been the downfall of a few populations, I think the eastern barred bandicoot population dropped dramatically after a radio collar exercise too, quite sad really :(
natamambo

Given this is a US study, I presume the birds are in captivity so the only issue with banding is effect on mobility probably. And given Uni extremes on "ethical treatment" I susoect it's unlikely to have any adverse effect in this case.
Netsurfer

natamambo wrote:Given this is a US study, I presume the birds are in captivity so the only issue with banding is effect on mobility probably. And given Uni extremes on "ethical treatment" I susoect it's unlikely to have any adverse effect in this case.
It's incredible the length the US ornithologists will go to, to study a specie, my hat off for their enthusiasm. But I doubt it very much they know how to look after these birds, and doubt even more if they know how to keep them alive and eventually breed them. I read an article a student from Israel studying Red-backed Wren, she might have been in the same group, she was studying in the US. Another person, he was a doctor or a professor at the Uni somewhere in Pennsylvania, he was one of the very few who studied the 'Burrow Island Black and white Wrens'. There's not much on this specie on Internet. He was curious to know what would happen if you cross White-winged (blue) and the Burrow Island Black and white Wren. I gave him Dr. Danny Brown's email and a phone number 'cause I know he breeds Wrens, and perhaps he is more likely to get a pair or two of the Black and white Wrens then me. Even if they were freely available I would be the last one to ask to hybridize the two species.

Anyhow back to the subject, those guys (ornithologists) net birds, not often do they breed them, if need be, in the US that is done by various Zoo's. And what are the chances them getting a permit to take several pairs to the US!
Last edited by Netsurfer on 30 Jan 2013, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Superb Wren”