Painteds, goldbreasted (sub of orange breast)

A place to ask about Australian Finches in general.
For example: Questions about more than a single species.
sierranomad

9.1 sm aviary. I have 5 male zebras, 6 bengalese and 4 stars. Also 2 cockatiels. Thinking about adding a final pair of birds, either painteds or goldbreasted. Painteds are way over ($400) what is reasonable for me to pay, but they intrigue me so much. Any thoughts on whether painteds or goldbreasteds would be happy in my set-up?

Thank you,
Craig52

sierranomad wrote:9.1 sm aviary. I have 5 male zebras, 6 bengalese and 4 stars. Also 2 cockatiels. Thinking about adding a final pair of birds, either painteds or goldbreasted. Painteds are way over ($400) what is reasonable for me to pay, but they intrigue me so much. Any thoughts on whether painteds or goldbreasteds would be happy in my set-up?

Thank you,
Hi Jon, Wow,Painteds $400 pr, both species you mention are $40 / $50 Aus here,i would go for the the painteds though,as they stick to the floor area of the aviary but i would be very worried about puting them in with the other occupants in there. Craig
sierranomad

Am I already overcrowded?
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not so much overcrowded, but the cockatiels in with the finches are a bit of a worry...
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would say aviary is on limit to overcrowding...and with cockatiels in the mix good chance of problems..imo
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
djb78

As for my choice I would have to go painteds hands down, but I a bit bias as I love my painteds. Problems I see are the cockateils and zebs as both can become problematic in different ways. The gold breast (Orange breast) are a very good mixed companion also. Both have similar diets but OB requires more live food and similar nesting options. Only difference ij nesting sites I have found is my painteds will nest from 0.5m from floor to about 2.5m in height where the OB prefer 1m to 1.8m on average. Both great birds you will be pleased with both.
Danny
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do you have a planted area where the finches can shelter from the cockatiels? It is their size not their nature that will cause the problem mostly.
LML
LML
sierranomad

Really appreciate the advice and tips, as I really am a novice, and I know you "down under" folks have loads of experience.

My little aviary is planted so the finches have plenty of places to hide. Don't know if cockatiels' temperament varies, but mine are gentle giants, not aggressive in the least towards their smaller companions, and I can't detect anxiety on the part of the finches.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds good then. Are your Bengos or Stars breeding? As you have only male Zebs that should keep them under control. But keep half an eye that they don;t get amourous with another type of finch hen. Don;t want any Hybrids.
LML
LML
sierranomad

Ha. Yes, there is some nest sitting; but I have a decent-sized indoor cage and will move any offspring to it while I look for a good home for them.

No inter-species amorous behaviour going on. :)

Return to “Non Specific Questions”