Mixed Finch Aviary

A place to ask about Australian Finches in general.
For example: Questions about more than a single species.
lestra

Woops should of specified
I am going to have boys only in the aviary and separate breeding cages for each bird. Except the quail they will be one pair in the bottom of the aviary.
The Lady I got my boy Gould off had blue faced and red faced in together with the Gould's and didn't have a problem, she had pairs and they weren't interested in each other. Her spare birds were only boys so maybe that's why.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry should have read above better should be fine if all one sex of Parrot Finches
Craig52

finches247 wrote:Sorry should have read above better should be fine if all one sex of Parrot Finches
Henry,Lestra did say the lady she got the gouldian from had prs of RF and BF together with out problems.(YET) Craig :thumbdown:
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry Again,I have to had the blue and red face parrot finches together breeding but they got out of control and crossbred so dont want someone to do what i did
lestra

I believe the reason she doesn't have any probs is she keeps her numbers down, she selects a couple of prime pairs to keep of each each season and sells the rest.
I sure as hell would never Hybridise any bird it is just wrong.
I have only just started using forums as I prefer them to facebook pages, one of the birds pages on facebook I am on is run by a girl that has no clue and when someone joked about the quaker and conure snuggling up ppl asked to buy the babies. The admin is prone to abusing ppl who break her rules so I had to be very careful with my wording about hybridising birds. This facebook page shows the dangers of facebook. You can't find old posts like you can on a forum and learn from other people knowledge/mistakes.
I repeatedly link useful accurate info to have it deleted as the info I link shows that the admin is doing wrong by her own birds. Trouble is many in the group trust her.
I am a novice compared to 90% of you guys but I sure know more than the admin of this facebook group and that's because I research and ask questions no matter how dumb they are lol.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Bengalese are capable of carrying diseases that would definitely kill the nestlings and maybe even the adults of"
From the Mike Fidler article. Note - capable of - not do. I would strongly advise caution as Mike Fidler does. Treat all new birds with the standard medications, while quarantining. But having had the 2 species together for many years am not a panic merchant. Clean heathy birds are just that. The type is irrelavant. And Gouldians are tougher than they ever were.
Back to the subject. If you want birds for colour, Gouldians, Cubans, Painteds. If you want them for song/chatter, Canarys, Javas, Zebs. If they are all boys these mixs will be OK if not crowded.
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

finchbreeder wrote:"Bengalese are capable of carrying diseases that would definitely kill the nestlings and maybe even the adults of"
From the Mike Fidler article. Note - capable of - not do. I would strongly advise caution as Mike Fidler does. Treat all new birds with the standard medications, while quarantining. But having had the 2 species together for many years am not a panic merchant. Clean heathy birds are just that. The type is irrelavant. And Gouldians are tougher than they ever were.
Back to the subject. If you want birds for colour, Gouldians, Cubans, Painteds. If you want them for song/chatter, Canarys, Javas, Zebs. If they are all boys these mixs will be OK if not crowded.
LML
Hi Finchbreeder I too have kept 2 species together but I did so with very strict quarantine...and Bengalese are carriers of the disease with no ill effects so even they looked healthy they may not be...and as you say Goulds are tougher these days...but it was just a lesson for the novices to ensure they dont loose stock if they do the right thing and quarantine first... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
lestra

I have been reading the threads about conserving At Risk, Rare and Extremely Rare finches.
So i am completely changing my game plan.
I am going to pick a breed from the At Risk catagory (as I consider myself a beginner finchie). And focus on that. I love the idea of a mixed aviary but I love the idea of conserving a species even more.
So I will have Gould's and I am thinking Tri Coloured Parrot Finches as they are in the At Risk Group and I love them.
Redesigning my aviaries now lol, I would still like a mixed aviary to enjoy as well as helping with the At Risk Birds.
Tiaris

Gouldians and Tri-coloured PFs have very secure aviary populations in Australia & both are among the most popular native & foreign species kept.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think if you stick to pure normal birds..you will be ok...as every bird breed at the moment seems to be pink or pied or yellow or pale something..sooner or later there will be no normals left...so you will have people knocking on your door for them...maybe not now but in our future.
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Non Specific Questions”