Can THIS go with THAT ?

A place to ask about Australian Finches in general.
For example: Questions about more than a single species.
JEWEL

I am close to finishing my spare avairy flight, and plan to put in it the following:
One pair ( being two of, sexes unknown ) mannekins, my longtails ( two male, one female ), a pair of Bengalese ( again, sexes unknown ) , pair of Cutthroats ( both male ) , and pair of Cubans ( pair - male/female ).
My big question is : Is it going to be ok to put the Cutthroats and the Cubans in with these other finches ?
At present the Cutthroats and Cubans are housed in seperate quarters; where-as the two male longtails are in with the Mannekins and the female longtail is in with the Bengalese.
So i already know the longs/manny's and Bengo's will co-habitate nicely. Just unsure of the other two species.
And do any of these finches suffer from chills like a Gouldian does ?
There will be plenty of nests and brush etc in the new avairy. Plus i just put laserlight over the open area over all my flights, to reduce wind flow. There is a flight either side of this particular one where these finches are going. One houses a pair of Ringnecks, the other my Red Factor Canaries.
All responses will be appreciated !
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would say that they're all pretty hardy/boisterous species, so they'd be fine together.
Cuttys and bengos will probably choose a box to nest in, and longtails and cubans will probably use brush :)
One of my friends has bengos, cutthroats and cubans together, no problems, can't see why longtails would make too much of a difference.
They're all pretty weather proof, cubans particularly so. they should be fine :)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There all fine together. :thumbup:

Longtails may also use a nestbox to roost in.

Congrats on finishing your new flights :thumbup: :clap:
SamDavis

The mix of finches should be ok. I'd house the spare longtail cock elsewhere - maybe in with the canaries?
A few years back I put a pair of Eclectus in an aviary next to an established finch aviary - the finches totally freaked every time an Ecky took off or even moved near their flight - after a few weeks I moved the Eckies. In my case the partition was mostly wire and I would have made a solid partition if I didn't have other alternatives. Many people have parrots next to finch aviaries without issue, but I'd say just watch closely that the finches settle down ok next to the ringnecks.
Tintola

If Susanne can do it, so can you. :shifty:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Myzomela

I can't believe you went there Tintola !! :)
Research; evaluate;observe;act
JEWEL

Thanks guys ! Now i can let them all go in their new home without worry. There are an array of cane cup nests, cane basket nests and box nests on the back wall. I am double wiring the partition between them and the ringnecks ( so no missing toes ! I had another pair ringnecks in this soon to be finch flight and they kept biting the toes off my white ringneck through the wire. )
Who is susanne ? :crazy: I missed something ?? :? Or need to know basis ?
JEWEL

They're all pretty weather proof, cubans particularly so. they should be fine :)[/quote]

Great! Because to look at them, being so small, I had to wonder if a puff of wind would knock them off the perch or not. :D
Tintola

JEWEL wrote: Who is susanne ? :crazy: I missed something ?? :? Or need to know basis ?
Myzomela wrote:I can't believe you went there Tintola !! :)
Your post has had me singing all day, but then I am easily influenced.
You would have to be a certain vintage to remember an add on T.V. (This goes with this, goes with this, goes with that, and this goes with that at Susanne's. Susanne's puts you in the picture, this goes with that at Susanne's.) :roll:

I don't believe that I just did that! :wtf: Or The Kiwi version es: Thus goes wuth thus, goes wuth thit it Susannes!

Sorry to hijack the topic, Time for my medication now :crazy: Jayburd, help me out here. :oops:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
west finch

Tint you crack me up ( don’t tell any one but it was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title of the post ) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Work smarter not harder !

Return to “Non Specific Questions”