Thoughts on this mix

A place to ask about Australian Finches in general.
For example: Questions about more than a single species.
yamato

Hi,

Getting back into keeping finches after 20+ years from when I was a teenager. Have been keeping Zebras and Gouldians for the last year or so but just upgraded to a proper aviary..size is 3.3m (L) x 1.7 (w) x 2 (h). Not massive but should be a good start.

I love finches for the colours and variety in size and behaviour. So want a nice mixed aviary with some breeding too.

I am planning the following mix and would like opinions if it will work.

Star Finch 1pr
Painted 1pr
Red Brow 1pr
Double Bars (preferably 2-3pr)

(perhaps adding cordon's at a later date).

I would also like to add some Gouldians but have read conflicting opinions. I think one pair of Gouldians would be no problems but what if I had 2-4 pairs? Would they becoma aggressive and/or interfere with the other birds?

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is a good mix of quiet birds...but if you put Zebs in there don't think much breeding would happen... Stars and Redbrows really don't like nest inspection..likely to desert if you look sideways at them I have found...but others have had no trouble.. as for Goulds they are all different but in an aviary that size with the amount of other birds you stated would be its top limit IMO.. :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
TomDeGraaff

Hi yamato.

A very rough rule of thumb for me is 1 sq m of shelter ground space per pair of finches. The species you list are all agreeable.

I also reckon Sam is on the money. Stars and red brows are finicky sitters and hate you looking sideways at their nest.

Bengalese and zebras tend to be nosey neighbours and interfere a bit.

I have always thought of Gouldians as a bit of a nervous nellie when it comes to too many other birds in the aviary. Maybe they have "toughened up" these days since many people mix them.

I'd say 5 pairs would be a wise upper limit if you want to breed.

Cheers
Tom
yamato

Thanks for the responses. I should have stated that I will be keeping the zebras seperate as I have read alot that they can interfere. They are a beautiful looking bird and great character. Probably underrated alot as they are so common.

Would you recommend I just start off with one breed? eg. a small colong of double bars or gouldians and then add a pair or two of something else further down the track?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A colony of either would work...bearing in mind once they have young your aviary would be well and truly full ...and would leave no further room for other species...Finches are addictive so maybe you will expand on the one you have :think: :D And the stress of a crowded aviary leads to other problems.. :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
TomDeGraaff

I personally like to keep more than one pair of each species in case I lose one. I still have a pair to fall back on.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gouldians are fine as single pairs or 3 pairs, but I found my Double bars were not happy till they had a little flock of 6 birds. I breed my Zebs with both, but only 1 pair of Zebs in the breeding avairy at a time. Rest of the Zebs in a nest free holding avairy, till it is their turn to breed.
LML
LML

Return to “Non Specific Questions”