Putin Finches with Grass parrots

A place to ask about Australian Finches in general.
For example: Questions about more than a single species.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lol: I like it.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Ab's Finches

Folks,

i have a scarlet chested parrot and he couldn't care less about the finches, in fact if his in the finches way the finches will give him a little peck to move on haha. Scarlets really are fine with finches no need to worry. The scarlet's just keep to them selfs. They have lovely colour and look great in a mixed collection. Also i have noticed that like to forage on the ground of the aviary.

Cheers AB
E Orix

Scarlet Chested infact any of the Neophema group of Parrots are fine with finches and can be found in many mixed collections.
On the other hand Grass Parrots are not in that group and unless your aviary is very large I wouldn't concider it.
There are too many one legged finches around duen to the work of a parrots beak.
MadHatter

I think what we are seeing here is a clash of nomenclature.
In many circles, the term "Grass Parrots" is a catch-all term to refer to the group of aussie parrots that includes the genus' Neophema, Neopsephotus and Psephotus. On the other hand, the name "Grass Parrot" or "Grassie" for short is often also used as a specific common name to refer to the Red-rumped Parrot, Psephotus haematonotus.

In the first context, it is more-or less accurate to say they are suitable for a mixed collection, though not so much for the genus Psephotus. Specifically, Hooded and Golden-shouldered Parrots may at times be included in a mixed collection if the aviary is suitably large and well planted, however Red-rumps and Mulgas are definitely not suitable.

I hope that clears up any confusion.
teg33

It all depends on the bird. I keep Elegant parrots, Bourkes, and Princess Parrots with my finches, never any problems. But then I know of people who have done the same thing and have lost birds. It just depends on the size of your aviary, and how many branches and perches you have in there!
Birds, Drumming, Vegetarianism, Animal Welfare, dogs, animals, and books :)
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My beautiful sweet natured Blue Princess boy had lived with Scarlets , Bourkes and Dizzy Doves for over a year .
Come breeding season and both my male Scarlet and Bourke not just dead but scalped and almost decapitated . The Dizzy copped a flogging but managed to escape .
All birds are different just like people .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

the only issue I have with scarlets is the buggers like to chew especially new plants , if your planning a planted aviary and dont want to wire of the plants to protect them , wait a year or two before puttting scarlets in, I currently have scarlets and bourkes parrots in with some isabel zebs, they are all good togther but if you have to many zebs they can take over the neophema boxes....pete

Return to “Non Specific Questions”