Different States . . Different Fauna Laws

A place to ask about Australian Finches in general.
For example: Questions about more than a single species.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:silent: best be leaving the Tasmanians alone now ...lovely people really :D :angel: :D

Back to the subject at hand ... yes what Greg said about ecological tolerances instead of State lines .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As a West Aussie. I must confess I see why we need rules to protect us from the nasties that you foreigners have over there. :lol: However Greg is not half right about the rules, really should have more to do with ecological boundaries than state ones. :thumbup: Bengos I grant could probably naturalize in a large portion of the country so I have no problems with the compulsory safety doors, they make sence in all circumstances anyway. :thumbup: But some of the more delicate birds have buckleys of being any risk to the country, the only risk is to the birds if inexperienced but wealthy collectors are the only people who can afford them. So the rules should be there to protect the birds from people, proven breeders only for endangered species. :D
Ohhhhhhhhhh Now watch the feathers fly. :clap:
LML
LML
arthur

finchbreeder wrote: proven breeders only for endangered species. :D
Ohhhhhhhhhh Now watch the feathers fly. :clap:
LML
My dear old mother had a policy with a similar logic

We weren't allowed in the water, until we could swim

AND . .

Feathers wont fly . . . Aviculturists are too apathetic :calm: :calm:
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

perhaps a true and regulated licensing system ...prove you can handle the exotics then go forth with it when the knowledge and most importantly experience has been proven.
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wouldn't let me have some of the rare and endangered finches. :ooh: Better people out there for the job. :thumbup:
LML
LML
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ditto FB I wouldnt even think about it ...Ill just admire from afar.
David Brent
desertbirds

Move to the Territory,a couple of permits and you can keep what you like,including reptiles and mammals.There are a few restrictions and a few odd ball rules but all in all its pretty relaxed.All natives must be on permit and a lot of foreign birds too.I need a permit to keep parrot finches but not blue caps or orangecheeks ? Figure that one out.If you can prove that you can look after birds of a similar variety you can also apply for a collection permit.So,Arthur no complaints from me about fauna laws except that it would be awesome if we had an Australian permit system and it was the same for everyone.As for WA, what can i say -shoot starlings at the border and log the forests that the black cockatoos breed in ? Makes sense to me.Not
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If only it was about the fauna and not the $$$$. How does driving a new car and wearing a new polo shirt help fauna ? And thats where the $$$$ s go.

Its all been sub contracted here in NSW and the company with the contract gets $$$$ each time they send an email or post a letter . These people from what Ive been told ( by local breeders ) refer to a handbook to identify even basic species .

Fella here ( parrot breeder ) fined for having a golden shouldered parrot , never had one in his life the said bird was a grass parrot mutation and didn't even look like a golden ?????

Oh and some trivia , recently saw some fry tankers in town with a banner " releasing fish for our future " the name of the govt dept " dept of industry and investment " what happen to the good old fisheries dept ???
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Stop picking on us West Aussies. :thumbdown: Shooting starlings and pigeons is a good idea, and feral cats and foxs. :thumbup: As for logging the black cockies homes well that's a dumb idea that has to do with people in the bottom 1/3 of the state. :silent: See it's like Greg said all about ecological zones not states. :thumbup:
LML
LML
Nrg800

I can see why WA does have stricter rules. I still think it's stupid, but in the past they have had Rainbow Lorikeets, Sulfur-crested Cockatoo and (I think) Bursh-tailed Possum. These have all called massive ecological damage, and the WA government doesn't want anything like hat to happen again...
Latest Lifer: Black-headed Gull (HaLong Bay. #528)
Australia List: 324 (White-throated Nightjar)
Global Year List: 119 (Powerful Owl)

Return to “Non Specific Questions”