Pintail whydahs - got some!

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
SamDavis

I've been contemplating or more accurately procrastinating about whether or not to get some Pintails. Anyway a local acquaintance decided to sell his along with all his Saint Helena's so I've got them (Yippeee!!!) Today I released 16 pair of Saints into my new aviary and in a week or two I'll release the trio of Pintails.

I didn't bother taking photos because I know you've all seen Saints and Pintails before!
Craig52

SamDavis wrote:I've been contemplating or more accurately procrastinating about whether or not to get some Pintails. Anyway a local acquaintance decided to sell his along with all his Saint Helena's so I've got them (Yippeee!!!) Today I released 16 pair of Saints into my new aviary and in a week or two I'll release the trio of Pintails.

I didn't bother taking photos because I know you've all seen Saints and Pintails before!
Interesting birds Sam,you will see great displays from the cock with his long tail in your large new aviary,hope all goes well Craig :thumbup:
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congrats Nice Sam :thumbup: :clap:
Myzomela

Good luck Sam...and we can ALWAYS do with some more photos :)
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congrats Sam, good luck!!!!
And nice try ;-) we want pictures!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
SamDavis

Myzomela wrote:...and we can ALWAYS do with some more photos :)
Jayburd wrote:And nice try ;-) we want pictures!
You do realise that the quality of the photos you two take puts the rest of us mere mortals to shame. Nevertheless I'll see what I can do...
E Orix

He will still be out of colour. maybe in 3 to 4 weeks he should be fine.
SamDavis

E Orix wrote:He will still be out of colour. maybe in 3 to 4 weeks he should be fine.
Anyone want to take a guess as to which one is the cock?
pintails.JPG
I was concerned the Saints may appear to be everywhere which may detract from other species. This is not the case as they seem to move in a flock and often seem to dissolve into the foliage.
saints.JPG
saints2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
E Orix

At a guess the bird in the middle is the Rooster
It won't be long and they tend to reasonably easy to sex when in breeding mode. :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
E Orix

Sam
If you are going to run 2 hens then make sure the Saints have at least 2 separate nesting areas.
The reason being the hens tend to want a territory of their own. If the nesting sites are limited or too few Saint pairs are breeding then two hens will want to lay in the same nest. Often this extra nest attention will put the breeding saints off and the eggs would be wasted. The challenge is there but the results can make up for it.

Return to “For any species not listed below”