Pintail whydahs - got some!

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
SamDavis

Thanks for the advice E Orix and I'd love to hear of anyone else's experience with Pintails. The second hen was bred last season so I understand she wont be breeding this year - is that correct? In any case there are plenty of nesting sites and I have more brush to install.

One question I've had conflicting comments about is whether the cock pintail will show much aggression (when coloured) to other species as he protects his territory?

PS. No comment about the sex of the middle bird just yet!
Bgould

Hi Sam

I bred my pintails in a mixed aviary last season with no problems with the male at all but keep an eye out on how aggressive yours becomes.
Finchman1

Looks like GW birds Sam,looks like you will out digging plenty of white ants soon or getting your fly box going over time
SamDavis

Finchman1 wrote:Looks like GW birds Sam,looks like you will out digging plenty of white ants soon or getting your fly box going over time
Correct. Fly box is in operation and I've got a fresh termite property organised.
COUNTRY CAPITAL

congrats for taking the plunge sam....goodluck with them.
at my mates place his saint colony nest in long grass growing in the flight at approx 500mm off the ground(he has pintails in with them too). i would plant some tussock grass or guinea grass somewhere as well.
It eventually looks a bit rank and overgrown but thats what they like. more saint nests mean more chance of producing pintails....16 pairs should be enough!!!
my guess is the centre bird is the rooster....rose between the thorns etc etc ;-). another pic in a month should show him off.
starting to join the long list of fincho's going green with envy over the Douglas Park establishment :mrgreen:
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
Diane

I bow to E Orix far superior to my knowledge of the sex of the Pintails. I dont know anything about them but my thought was the bird closest to the camera, just going on what looks like deeper colouring.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Craig52

The bird in the middle has different facial markings and a lighter back than the other two. Craig
Diane

Ahhh, I see it now, the extra black stripe under the eye.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
SamDavis

Yep, middle bird is the rooster.
COUNTRY CAPITAL wrote:.i would plant some tussock grass or guinea grass somewhere as well. It eventually looks a bit rank and overgrown but thats what they like. more saint nests mean more chance of producing pintails....
Done! I had some in pots which I've just planted out in the aviary.
Some (most) of my non-finch friends and family just don't get why I would be excited about 3 red-beaked sparrows so it's great to have some understanding from fellow AFFers.
Lukec

That opinion will change shortly
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.

Return to “For any species not listed below”