Pintail whydahs - got some!

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
Pictorella

Jeez some people are hard to please. I was thinking how attractive they were in their non breeding plumage! :thumbup:
I heard/read somewhere that Saint colonies need replacing every couple of years as the Saints become accustom to raising a strange chick. Anyone else heard this?
A world without birds is a world not worth living in :)
roma9009

Yes have heard of this
monotwine

Never kept them myself- have enough in the yard claiming the feeder.
But Congrats Sam know out your way its a challenge and expensive commitment to keep them. Wish you all the best success with them.

I've also heard the Saints can be replaced, but also heard they associate nesting areas with parasitism and you can have some success by changing aviary around to give them new sites.

Not sure how successful that is though. Apparently in the wild colonies move sites to evade continual Pintail parasitism. My poor Saints don't seem to know that rule. Year in and year out the come with Pintails in their clutches.
Monique
SamDavis

Thanks for the tips. At this stage I'll be wrapped to see a single pintail fledge.
Diane

You should be able to hang onto your Saints for quite a while if you can move nesting sites around, with that huge aviary moving nest sites shouldnt be a problem!
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
SamDavis

The first of many saints fledged today. I counted 4 fledglings out but there are heaps of saints nests so heaps more to come.
Saints.jpg
Unfortunately the Pintails are just colouring up now so I guess no pintails till at least the next round of Saints.
PintailCock.jpg
Also the bush budgies have started to fledge - 1 out of 5. They were on eggs within a week of being released into the new aviary.
BushBudgie.jpg
Looking at this thread it was the 26/8 when all the Saints were released, so 50 days ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iaos

Congrats Sam. Do you plan on keeping the young in there to increase the colony size, or is the colony big enough already?

Cheers Ian
SamDavis

iaos wrote:Congrats Sam. Do you plan on keeping the young in there to increase the colony size, or is the colony big enough already?

Cheers Ian
I'll have to catch up most of them I think or they'll take over. Mind you I'm yet to sort out a trapping system.
TomDeGraaff

Are they all in your lovely scenic aviary?? They have such a beautiful view.
Fingers crossed for a pinnie or 2 (or 3 or 4 or....)
Cheers
Tom
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congrats Sam Nice youngsters :thumbup: :clap:

Return to “For any species not listed below”