Red Capped Robins

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
garymc

Got back from Perth on the 10th of September to a red capped robin attempting to build a nest to no avail. I would supply cobweb, she would put in where she was hoping to nest only to have the rain wash it away.

After four night of rain and consequently nest building failure, I decided to make a wire basket which would fit over the branches that she was trying to build in. Filled the basket with coconut fibre, made a divot in the middle and gave here more cobweb which she duly used to line the "nest".

A week later 3 eggs and 13 days after that a chick followed by another the next day. Took this picture this morning at 6 days of age:
red_capped_robin (Small).JPG
Interesting points so far have been:-

Mum shields the chicks from the direct hot sun by standing in/on the nest with her wings fanned out.

After feeding (usually a cricket or a white skin mealworm) the adult bird often fly of with a turd sack, dumps it away from the nest and is back to the feedbowl for another snack for the chicks. All this happens while I am less than a metre away from the nest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
firetail555

Good Job Gaz. Always thinking
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congrats Well Done :thumbup:
Craig52

Well done Gary, :thumbup: Craig
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congrats Gary!! :D
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
casehulsebosch

Awesome Gary. Great result thus far.

Cheers Case, Tauranga, New Zealand.
SamDavis

Great job- well done.
Coincidence, but I was at a softbill breeder's place on Saturday and he had just fledged some too - for the first time if I recall correctly.
E Orix

I found them the most trusting parents and possibly the easiest to breed of the Aust. Robins.
They can be so predictable nesting in the same spot and similar start to the breeding season each year.
But the cockbirds do not like any other cockbirds near. I found they will fight constantly through the wire if you have
pairs in adjoining aviaries. But well worth the effort of keeping them.
Loz_82

Congrats Gary,
Knowing you and your breeding skill they'll be on the perch in no time.
Hows the weather been over there? I've come back from holidays a got told we have had a record september rain fall for the month.
garymc

Orix,
I think I can remember reading an article that you wrote (Australian Avicutlure) many moons ago.

Having them nest in the location that they have has meant I have a great view of the goings on. Just this morning both the parents were sitting together on the edge of the nest as if admiring the chicks.

Loz - hope you come back from the honeymoon still married. Weathers been pretty good, with today predicted to top 36 with a cool change to come. Few lots of lesssers out too!

Return to “For any species not listed below”