Pintail Whydahs - do they eat eggs?

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
SamDavis

I've had a few Red Siskin nests with disappearing or no eggs laid (apparently). I was talking to a mate last night and he said he's heard of pintail cocks eating eggs - particularly cup nester eggs. Has anyone else heard of this happening or is it just a one off?
BOF33

I found three normal Gouldian eggs (round shape) and one large football shaped egg. I left the eggs in the nest and kept on feeding the rest of our birds. The next day (Saturday) she was back in the nest. This time I found four Gouldian eggs and two football eggs. On Sunday September 10, 1995 I found five Gouldian eggs and one more whydah egg. I went upstairs to get more greens and when I returned, one of the male Whydahs was looking in the nest. When he flew out he had an eggshell with fresh yolk in his beak. When I looked inside the nest I found all of the eggs broken, he had eaten them.
Found this on a British site. Looks like it is possible.
E Orix

One should never say never but in the size of aviaries we have I doubt if the cock Pintail would have time to remove the egg.
What doesn't ring true, I am reasonably sure when a hen Pintail lays in a nest she removes one of the host's eggs to keep the balance.
One of the reasons I say this is when ever I have a successful St Helena/Pintail nest there is only 2 or 3 Saint chicks plus the young Pintail.
The normal clutch size are 3 or 4.
The English reports states that they think there were Pintail eggs layed in with the Gouldian eggs yet non were removed.
personally I can't see a problem.
Tiaris

I have a friend who offers infertile finch eggs as a staple part of his Pin-tail's diet as he claims that they will always eat freshly offered finch eggs & by doing so it reduces the incidence of them taking good eggs from active breeding nests of other finches. Put some clear finch eggs on an open dish near the feed area & see what happens.
arthur

Different strokes for different folks . .

I'd be reluctant to encourage egg eating in any species of bird
elferoz777

Right or wrong siskin eggs are an expensive breakfast.

Not sure how you can get around this one but good luck.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
roma9009

Maybe offer hard boiled egg mashed up
Tiaris

Normally, I'd be discouraging feeding finch eggs in finch aviaries too, but where a species is kept which has a strong natural desire to eat finch eggs I would definitely be trying to satisfy this desire with easy access to infertile eggs when the alternative is for them to take good eggs from active breeding nests. Either that or only keep them with their brood host species, but even then I'm advised by those with experience with them that easy-offer eggs increase clutch size (presumably through reduce nest egg predation).
SamDavis

Hmmmm... This is a bit concerning as I thought it was highly unlikely. Today I've just had my first Scarlet Honeyeater egg and it's in the same aviary (see HERE). I'd be really annoyed if the Pintail cleaned that one up. Both Pintail hens are searching through Saints nests every morning (as I have my coffee) so hopefully the consolation will be lots of pintails.
E Orix

Sam
If the egg/eggs disappear don't jump to the conclusion that it was the Pintails.
Eggs in cup nests are in danger all the time from many aspects.
Also I would be a little surprised if the Male Pintail was really interested in a cup nest of eggs especially if you have Saints nesting.
In all the years I have bred them in a mixed collection I have never had anything but Saints rear young Pintails.
Others may have but not me.

Return to “For any species not listed below”