Pintail Whydah fledglings!

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
branchez

I had BFPF feeding young Yellow hooded Siskins.
Jack
Rox

Oh wow, huge congrats!!

I have wild pintail's in my garden and they are beautiful birds but this is the first time I have seen what the fledglings look like. Very cute :)
Matt

I guess it is possible that the tri colours have adopted them since fledging but I am yet to see anything feeding them other than the tri colours. Either way, I'm happy to see them on the perch.
Matt

Had another couple fledge over the weekend. I was watching with amazement through a peep hole at the host st helenas feeding them this afternoon and then ushering them back into the nest for the night. I have no idea why the saints choose to feed them. They look and sound nothing like their own offspring. The pintail young don't even hang around their fellow nest mates. It's as if they know they're too good to be seen in their company. An awesome experience keeping these guys.
E Orix

Matt
I may have had a situation happen here that may need your attention.
I had a couple of young Pintails fledge a couple of weeks ago, both were fine and even feeding themselves.
Then I noticed a young Pintail(just starting to colour) bred earlier in the season continually displaying and annoying the two young.
It would constantly hover over them and then drop on them trying to mate, I was away for a couple of days and on my return haven't
sighted the 2 chicks since.
It's a big aviary and they could be keeping a low profile but keep an eye on the first lot of young that you fledged.
Matt

That's interesting David. One of the earlier young ones has been displaying to his sister here and there. The newest fledglings haven't made their way out into the open flight yet which is where the others spend the bulk of their time, so they haven't had much contact yet. I'll keep a close eye on them over the next week. I don't want to go in there chasing them with a net just yet because there is still 2 nests with young ones due out this week. After those two nests fledge, I'll catch them up just to be safe.

Thanks for the warning.

Matt

Return to “For any species not listed below”