Pintail Whydah fledglings!

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
Slick

Well done great achievement
KiwiBigD

Congratulations, you've got to be really happy about that. Beautiful birds, absolutely stunning
Matt

Thanks elferoz for posting the pic.

It was a great Australia day present. I hope the kids playing cricket out the back today didn't disturb the birds too much.
I suspect there is another nest or two with young pintails as I heard similar begging calls comng from two other nests today
TomDeGraaff

Excellent news. I dream to have similar luck one day!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations. You must be doing something right. :thumbup:
LML
LML
Matt

Got a bit better pic of the two of them this afternoon. I suspect the wire nest on the right may contain another pintail(s) as well and another nest has a solitary chick which I am almost certain is a pintail. So it's looking like it could be a good season.

Sam, good luck with yours. It would be good if you can get some youngsters on the perch as well. I'm sure with your setup, it'll only be a matter of time.

To anyone out there contemplating buying pintails, don't hesitate to take the plunge. They really are worth the money. They are the tamest birds in my aviary by a mile and the cock bird displays every morning while I'm less than a metre away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gomer

Congratulations Matt well done. :thumbup: They have a area earmarked here one day when I finish my project.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
branchez

Congratulations Matt,allways good to see young birds on the perch. :thumbup:
Jack
Matt

Well I spent a lot of time on the weekend observing my youngsters through a peep hole in the aviary shelter. It would appear that the young pintails are being reared by my tri colour parrot finch pair rather than st helenas as expected. I think it was just a coincidence that they fledged at the same time. Has anybody had a parrot finch rear pintails before?

Unfortunately the single chick in another nest was found dead on the floor yesterday and was indeed a pintail. It was only a day or two from fledgling too.
E Orix

I guess one shouldn't say never and birds continually surprise me.
It was way back in 1982 from memory that I bred my first Pintail and since then
I have bred a few.
In all that time I can honestly say that every chick I have had reared here was done by St Helenas.
A chap once told me that he had reared them under Tri Coloured Nuns yet I have run a very big colony of Tri Nuns
in the same aviary as the Pintails and Saints without any success under the Tri Nuns.
One thing I will say is young Pintails will beg from any finch that lands near them and this could be happening in your aviary Matt.
They are the great survivor, I guess they have to be, within 2 days of fledging you can see them feeding themselves as well as
begging food several weeks after they are feeding themselves.
All up it's a great effort and the more bred the better.

Return to “For any species not listed below”