Soft bills in free flight shows

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
iaos

Hi folks,

I was just trying to think of any softbills that are used in free flight shows at zoos and wildlife parks but none came to mind.

Do you know of any that are used?

Cheers Ian
wagga

I think Toco Toucans are used in the free flight shows at Disney World.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
TomDeGraaff

Yes, I have seen a Toco Toucan catching grapes in a show at Jurong, I think.
iaos

Both of those places sound well worth visiting. I wonder why there are many Aussie species that are used.
Cheers
matcho

I have been to Jurong, San Deigo Zoo, Disneyland and seen Toucans, ( tiny) Hornbills (they are huge) used in flight shows as well as a couple of the larger parrots (macaws) but most use raptors and owls. It might be that they are easely trained and have a higher intelligence level. Many years ago I was at Currumbin Sanctuary and had silvereys come and land on your hand because of the sweetness from feeding the lorikeets, learnt that that they were hand raised, that in itself must have been a real challenge. Either way they are good shows but I get my own show every morning from my pair of young magpies that have decided to call my place home. They have been here 2 weeks and yesterday was the first time hand feeding happened. This morning they near chased me for the thin steak strips. Not to mention the dozen or so crested pigeons that arrive every morning at seed change time, near have to kick them out of the way.

Life is good.

Ken.
Last edited by matcho on 21 Jun 2014, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Craig52

matcho wrote:I have been to Jurong, San Deigo Zoo, Disneyland and seen Toucans, ( tiny) Hornbills (they are huge) used in flight shows but most use raptors and owls. It might be that they are easisly trained and have a higher intelligence level. Either way they are good shows but I get my own show every morning from my pair of young magpies that have decided to call my place home. They have been here 2 weeks and yesterday was the first time hand feeding happened. This morning they near chased me for the thin steak strips.

Life is good.

Ken.
Good luck with your magpies Ken i hope your home every minute of the day as when your not there your birds will get terrorised and used as free handouts. :silent: Craig
matcho

Craig,

I have had problems with butcherbirds in the past and magpies have always been around but never caused problems. Currawongs , yes. This pair are a product of the locals. They are just kids, juvenile colouring and quite endearing. I am home all day, they turn up in the morning and later in the arvo, when i am changing the seed in the morning they often walk with me and eat the seed discarded normally eaten by the cresteds. Hand raised one many,many years ago. The birds don't get spooked by them when they arrive and I have never seen them pay any interest in the aviary. Actually noisy miners cause me more grief. If I thought they were a threat I wouldn't entertain them.

Time will tell, I suppose but I really have a gut feeling it will be ok.

Ken.
Craig52

matcho wrote:Craig,

I have had problems with butcherbirds in the past and magpies have always been around but never caused problems. Currawongs , yes. This pair are a product of the locals. They are just kids, juvenile colouring and quite endearing. I am home all day, they turn up in the morning and later in the arvo, when i am changing the seed in the morning they often walk with me and eat the seed discarded normally eaten by the cresteds. Hand raised one many,many years ago. The birds don't get spooked by them when they arrive and I have never seen them pay any interest in the aviary. Actually noisy miners cause me more grief. If I thought they were a threat I wouldn't entertain them.

Time will tell, I suppose but I really have a gut feeling it will be ok.

Ken.
Cheers mate, Craig :thumbup:

Return to “For any species not listed below”