Pintail Whydah (almost) doing his thing

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
SamDavis

Got some footage of Mr Pintail Whydah at it. This bloke (from bgould) seems much more energetic and more vocal than the cock I lost earlier this year. Maybe the old one was never 100% right. Finger's crossed I'll actually breed a few this year!
http://youtu.be/Kc9ZuZqJXp0
E Orix

Sam
I don't think you missed the climax, without doubt the female Pintail would have to be nearly the biggest tease around.
Actually I think it is part of the breeding program, the female will quiver and beg to mate and the male will hover.
Whene he moves in to mate she just moves away, she can do this quite a number of times. When she eventually gives in the male succeeds he then heads for
a quiet spot to recover. It's a good sign though. I would be keeping an eye out for a young Pintail in around 36 days from now.
If you are successful(saints have the final say) you will hear the baby before you see it. Once you hear it, you will always know there is
a young one somewhere in your aviary. It's seems the 1st is the hardest
elferoz777

Thanks for sharing.

Love those birds
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
SamDavis

Thanks David. There's a heap of Saints fledged/fledging already - spotted more this morning. I've also kept a few more pairs of Saints aside which I might release now the Pintails are apparently operational. Or should I wait a little longer?
TomDeGraaff

Great camera work, Sam. I've never seen that before!
Thanks
Tom
E Orix

No go for it. Smart move holding some back, just don't flood the market :thumbup: :thumbup:
Tiaris

I'm having my first go at them this year too. I'm holding back the cock Saints until the Whydahs are fully ready. The cock has been doing the same hover flights as Sam's and has just coloured & but his tail is still growing (about 2/3 full length). The hen's beak is turning black but isn't fully black yet. Should I wait until the hen's beak is totally black before putting the cock Saints in?
E Orix

Yes I would be releasing all as the Saints will take a day or so to work out their areas.
Once the female shows the slightest ting of black she is ready. The male will display ,hover chase but the hen is the one to make the
decision to mate. Full tail/half tail it's up to her. While breeding seasons vary from state to state Pintails should be given the opportunity
to breed now.
I just hope you all have success.
Tiaris

E Orix wrote:Yes I would be releasing all as the Saints will take a day or so to work out their areas.
Once the female shows the slightest ting of black she is ready. The male will display ,hover chase but the hen is the one to make the
decision to mate. Full tail/half tail it's up to her. While breeding seasons vary from state to state Pintails should be given the opportunity
to breed now.
I just hope you all have success.
Thanks for the advice E. Orix.
I put the cock Saints in early this morning & despite the very hot day the extra activity with the Saints seemed to spur the cock Whydah into extra display flights & chasing.
Pictorella

Great video Sam
A world without birds is a world not worth living in :)

Return to “For any species not listed below”